Elevator free falling

dav2008
Gold Member
The object is indeed accelerating. Think of a satellite as being in uniform circular motion with gravity accounting for the centripital force. The speed is constant but the direction is constantly changing because there is the force of gravity perpendicular to the velocity.

All this talk of elevators falling has made me afraid of them :uhh:

The answer is because you do not 'fall' in the literal sense that you loose altitude. Your heigh above the ground remains constant, so to speak. Plus what dav just said above.

Art
I always thought it was interesting that if you climbed up a ladder 300 miles high you would only weigh about 15% less than you do on earth whilst if a spacecraft in low orbit flew by you the astronauts inside would be floating around weightless.

Those are due to two different effects

Mk
Anyway, there is AMPLE room between the elevator and the 3 walls for air to flow up(or down) the sides, seriously mitagating compression effects.
But the speed of the elevator also counts, not just the space between the elevator and side walls.

Art
cyrusabdollahi said:
Those are due to two different effects
Obviously, but I think you will find most people don't realise that. There seems to be a common misconception that the effect of gravity declines rapidly and that going 300 miles straight up into space would render you weightless.

Danger
Gold Member
ENTER, STAGE LEFT--PF. That's what we're here for. :biggrin: