What Are Realistic Parameters for an Elevator Model?

In summary, estimating realistic parameters for a simplified model of an elevator, such as the spring constant and damping coefficient of the cable, as well as the range of torques and operating speed of the motor, can be challenging. However, steel elevator cables typically have a spring constant of 1,000 to 5,000 N/m, a damping coefficient of 0.1 to 0.5 kg/s, and an elevator motor can supply torques ranging from 5 to 50 Nm while operating at speeds of 0.2 to 0.3 m/s.
Physics_wiz
I am doing a controls project in which I will try to control the speed of an elevator using a simplified model. The model is simply a motor connected to a pulley which moves the car up and down through a cable. The only difficulty I am having is estimating realistic parameters for the model. For example, the elevator cable has a spring constant...what's a realistic spring constant for a steel elevator cable? There's also a damping at the pully...what's a realistic damping coefficient? Also, what range of torques can an elevator motor supply and where does it usually operate?

I've been searching for products online that would have those specifications but I couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping someone here will have more experience and be able to answer those questions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The spring constant of an elevator cable often depends on the wire diameter and the number of strands. Generally, steel cables have a spring constant that ranges from 1,000 to 5,000 N/m. The damping coefficient can range from 0.1 to 0.5 kg/s, but it is usually between 0.2 and 0.3 kg/s. The range of torques supplied by an elevator motor can vary depending on the type of motor used and its power rating, but it is typically between 5 and 50 Nm. The motor usually operates at low speeds, ranging from 0.2 to 0.3 m/s.

1. What are elevator model parameters?

Elevator model parameters refer to the different variables and settings that are used to construct a mathematical model of an elevator system. These parameters include things like elevator speed, maximum weight capacity, and door opening and closing times.

2. Why are elevator model parameters important?

Elevator model parameters are important because they allow us to accurately simulate and analyze the behavior of elevator systems. By adjusting these parameters, we can test different scenarios and optimize elevator performance.

3. How are elevator model parameters determined?

Elevator model parameters are determined through a combination of data collection, analysis, and testing. Engineers and scientists use real-world data and mathematical models to determine the optimal values for each parameter.

4. Can elevator model parameters change over time?

Yes, elevator model parameters can change over time. As technology advances and new techniques are developed, the parameters used to model elevators may be updated to better reflect real-world performance.

5. Are elevator model parameters the same for all elevators?

No, elevator model parameters can vary depending on the type and design of the elevator. For example, parameters for a high-speed elevator may be different from those for a freight elevator. Additionally, different manufacturers may have slightly different parameters for similar elevator models.