Elevator Problem: 10700 Joules Lifts 3900N by 9 Ropes

• Thread starter helppleaseee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, a system of pulleys is used to lift an elevator weighing 3900 Newtons. The pulley system utilizes 9 ropes to support the load. With a frictionless system, 10700 joules of input work would be enough to lift the elevator. By using the formula w=fd and finding the weight of the elevator, the force needed can be calculated. The 9 ropes can be ignored since they are already accounted for in the weight of the elevator.
helppleaseee
A system of pulleys is used to lift an elevator that weighs 3900 Newtons. The pulley system uses 9 ropes to support the load. How far would 10700 joules of input work lift the elevator? Assume the pulley system is frictionless.

Homework Equations

w=fd
f=ma
w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

w=fd
10700=fd
and so i tried to solve for f using f=ma...i found m using w=mg (3900=m*9.81=397.55) but we're not given the acceleration so I'm stuck!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the weight of the elevator. So f=3900N? Try that.

then what do i do with the 9 because there are 9 ropes?
...maybe multiply it??

nvm i got it...you just ignore the 9 ropes

What is the "Elevator Problem"?

The "Elevator Problem" is a hypothetical scenario used in physics to demonstrate the concept of work and energy. It involves a 10700 Joule motor lifting a 3900 Newton elevator using 9 ropes.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work in joules, F is force in newtons, and d is displacement in meters. This formula can be used to calculate the work done by the motor in the "Elevator Problem".

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the transformation of energy from one form to another. In the "Elevator Problem", the work done by the motor is equal to the change in potential energy of the elevator.

How do the number of ropes affect the work done by the motor?

In the "Elevator Problem", the work done by the motor is divided among the 9 ropes. Each rope carries a portion of the weight of the elevator, so the more ropes there are, the less work each rope has to do. Therefore, the more ropes there are, the less work the motor has to do overall.

What other factors may affect the outcome of the "Elevator Problem"?

Aside from the number of ropes, other factors that may affect the outcome of the "Elevator Problem" include friction, the weight of the elevator, and the efficiency of the motor. These factors can impact the amount of work required to lift the elevator and may also affect the final outcome.