1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator problem

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A physics student stands on a bathroom scale in an elevator which is not moving. The scale reads 564 N. The elevator then accelerates downward at 1.97 m/s2. What does the scale read during this acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma, W=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought at first the answer should be 0 N, but that is wrong...then I tried using Newton's 2nd Law F = 564 N, a = 1.97, but when I plugged this in it was stilled wrong...what equation should I use?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are using the correct formulae, but are not looking at the whole situation. First, draw yourself a diagram; then consider what force would be required to make the student accelerate downwards at 1.97m/s^2. Finally, you need to figure out how you combine this force with the weight of the student.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?