1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator Problem

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
    Hey all..here is another stumper (for me).

"A 1000 kg elevator has a maximum load of 800 kg. If constant friction retards the elevator at 4000 N, to lift at 2 m/s, what does the motor's hp(horsepower) have to be?"

Now, I was trying to do a lot of things with this one. I thought it was an obstacle that we had a speed and not a distance. I tried getting around this by simply acknowledging that since we went to go 2 m/s, and since a watt is 1 J/s, that I could jsut sort of throw the /s off each of them and leave it at 2 m. Prolly totally off.

Any Help?
    (My answer was 5.92 hp)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2
    Use energies. From point A to a higher point B, the equation looks like this:

[tex]W_{motor} + W_{friction} = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_p + \Delta E_k [/tex]

[tex]Pt - f\Delta h = mg\Delta h + (0)[/tex]

Where P is the power of the motor, t is the time the eleavtor takes to travel the distance from A to B, f is the force of friction and Δh is the distance from A to B. We need to get rid of the time there, so we express it as t = Δh/v, where v is the elevator's constant speed:

[tex]P\frac{\Delta h}{v} + f\Delta h = mg\Delta h[/tex]

Now rearrange the equation, cancel Δh and you get:

[tex]P = v(mg - f)[/tex]

And voila. :smile: I get P = 36.6hp.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  4. Apr 15, 2004 #3
    I love you Chen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?