1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator Projectile Motion

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rude tourist throws a peach pit horizontally with a 7.0 m/s velocity out of an elevator cage.
    (a) If the elevator is not moving, how long will the pit take to reach the ground, 11.0 m below?
    s
    (b) How far (horizontally) from the elevator will the pit land?
    m
    (c) He throws the next pit when the elevator is at the same height but moving upward at a constant 9.5 m/s velocity. How long will it take this pit to land?
    s
    (d) How far away will this pit land?

2. Relevant equations

X Y
    d h
    v vi
    t vf
    t
    a

d=.5at^2
    basic trigonometry

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unsure how to approach this, since I dont understand this, what would need tobe done to find time in part1

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start my splitting the motion into two components, vertical and horizontal motion. Now, considering the vertical motion only, how long will it take the peach to hit the ground?

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    yeah i got part a and b
    t=Squareroot(2d/9.8)

and got the "t" to be 1.498sec and multplied the time by 7 and got "b" which is 10.483m
    but for the other two it is left me confused, on how to use like forumulas

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the previous case, the initial velocity only had an horizontal component, but in the current case the initial velocity has both a horizontal and vertical component. However, the approach is much the same.

Start by splitting the motion into the horizontal components. Which kinematic formula do you think would be appropriate for part (c)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?