1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator question

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only 0.67 of the person's regular weight. Calculate the acceleration of the elevator.

how do i start this problem? help please!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

do you have any equations of motion you are suppose to use?
  4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    when he's not accelerating his weight is something and g=32.2 ft/sec2. When the elevator accelerates his weight drops to .67 of what it was. (his mass hasn't changed)
  5. Oct 5, 2005 #4
    <tex> w=mg<tex> I really wish I could make LATEX work.
  6. Oct 5, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Use [ and ] instead of < and >
  7. Oct 6, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

The person is experiencing two forces, his weight and the force from the scale (the reading on the scale is caused by the action/reaction force of this). The vector sum of this two forces gives the resultant "elevator acccelerating force" on the person according to N2.
  8. Oct 6, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And don't forget the / before the ending "tex":

[ tex ] e^{-x^2} [ /tex ]

gives [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex].

The "Math Message Board" uses < > instead of [ ] and I am forever getting them mixed up!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?