Calculate Elevator's Acceleration with Person on Bathroom Scale

In summary, a person on a motionless elevator experiences a weight of w=mg, where g=32.2 ft/sec2. When the elevator begins to accelerate, their weight briefly drops to 0.67 of its original value. This is due to the vector sum of their weight and the force from the scale, resulting in the "elevator accelerating force." Equations of motion can be used to calculate this acceleration, but be sure to use [ and ] instead of < and > when writing equations in LATEX.
confusedaboutphysics
A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only 0.67 of the person's regular weight. Calculate the acceleration of the elevator.

how do i start this problem? help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have any equations of motion you are suppose to use?

<tex>w=mg<txt>
when he's not accelerating his weight is something and g=32.2 ft/sec2. When the elevator accelerates his weight drops to .67 of what it was. (his mass hasn't changed)

<tex> w=mg<tex> I really wish I could make LATEX work.

Paulanddiw said:
<tex> w=mg<tex> I really wish I could make LATEX work.

Use [ and ] instead of < and >

The person is experiencing two forces, his weight and the force from the scale (the reading on the scale is caused by the action/reaction force of this). The vector sum of this two forces gives the resultant "elevator acccelerating force" on the person according to N2.

hotvette said:
Use [ and ] instead of < and >

And don't forget the / before the ending "tex":

[ tex ] e^{-x^2} [ /tex ]

gives [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex].

The "Math Message Board" uses < > instead of [ ] and I am forever getting them mixed up!

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of an elevator with a person on a bathroom scale?

The acceleration of an elevator with a person on a bathroom scale can be calculated using the formula: a = (F - mg) / m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force measured by the scale, m is the mass of the person, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. Why is it important to include the person's mass in the calculation?

The person's mass is an important factor to consider because it affects the force measured by the scale. The more mass there is on the scale, the higher the force will be, and thus the higher the acceleration of the elevator will be.

3. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the reading on the bathroom scale?

The acceleration of the elevator affects the reading on the bathroom scale by increasing or decreasing the force measured by the scale. If the elevator is accelerating upwards, the scale will measure a higher force than the person's actual weight. If the elevator is accelerating downwards, the scale will measure a lower force than the person's actual weight.

4. Can the acceleration of the elevator be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of the elevator can be negative if it is moving downwards. In this case, the force measured by the scale will be lower than the person's actual weight, resulting in a negative acceleration value.

5. What other factors may affect the accuracy of the calculated acceleration?

Other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated acceleration include the precision of the bathroom scale, external forces acting on the elevator (such as air resistance), and the smoothness of the elevator's movement.