Which is better for high cycle output: elevator or piston/cylinder?

• Thread starter bananabrownin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary: A camshaft should be able to support up to 33,000 FT LBS of torque, so 200 FT LBS should not be a problem.
bananabrownin
[SOLVED] Elevator vs. Piston/Cylinder

In designing a reciprocating linear motion force, I have two approaches to the problem using a standard 1 horsepower motor. The travel is 2 feet forward and 2 feet backwords with a minimum force of 200lbs.

From calculations, each cycle of the reciprocating motion will generate at minimum:
2(200LBS x 2FT) = 800 FT LBS per cycle.

Theoretical maximum with 100% efficiency will yield:
(33,000FT LBS) / (800 FT LBS/cycle) = 41.25 Cycles/Minute

If I had a choice between designing a system where the 1HP motor will power a system much like a car's piston/cylinder approach, or one where the 1HP motor will power a cable-system-powered-elevator, which would be a better approach to attain the highest cycles per minute?

The elevator approach would have counterweights to balance the system in order to conserve energy since if it's balanced, it'll require only a little bit of force to tip the balance to move the counterweight down and the elevator up.

I am not asking for calculations, but just opinions on which would be the better route to take in terms of output cycles per minute.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Bananabrownin.
It seems to me that the crank system is inherently capable of much higher cyclic rates than the cable, and is probably more reliable as well.

I like the elevator idea. The only problem might be that your speed would be determined by the amount of passengers/load the elevator would lifting. No load, all the speed you need.

For an application that requires 200 FT LBS, would a camshaft suffice?

My idea was connecting a 1HP motor to a reducer to obtain ~35RPM and attaching a camshaft to the output shaft. Then mounted above the camshaft will be a cam follower that will travel up and down as the camshaft rotates.

Example picture is g.photos.cx/CAM-95.jpg

Would a camshaft be able to support torques of that amount or will 200 FT LBS exceed the inherently simple design of linear reciprocating motion?

1. What is the difference between an elevator and a piston/cylinder?

An elevator is a device used to transport people or objects between different levels of a building, while a piston/cylinder is a mechanical component that converts energy into linear motion. In an elevator, the cabin moves up and down along a shaft, while in a piston/cylinder, the piston moves in and out of the cylinder.

2. Which one is more commonly used in buildings?

Elevators are more commonly used in buildings as they are specifically designed for vertical transportation. Piston/cylinders are used in various industries for different purposes, such as in car engines or hydraulic systems, but not typically for vertical transportation in buildings.

3. Can a piston/cylinder be used as an elevator?

Technically, a piston/cylinder could be used as an elevator, but it would require additional components such as a counterweight and safety features to function effectively and safely. Elevators are specifically designed and regulated for safe human transportation.

4. What are the advantages of an elevator over a piston/cylinder?

Elevators are designed for safe and efficient vertical transportation of people, while piston/cylinders are typically used for other purposes. Elevators also have additional safety features such as emergency buttons and backup power in case of a power outage. Additionally, elevators can carry larger loads and can accommodate multiple people, while piston/cylinders are typically used for smaller, more specific tasks.

5. How do elevators and piston/cylinders work together in construction?

In construction, elevators are used to transport workers and materials between different levels of a building, while piston/cylinders are used for tasks such as lifting heavy objects or moving machinery. Both are essential in the construction process, but have different functions and purposes.