Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ELFs or ETs?

1. Oct 21, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Matti Pitk änen
    Postal address:
    Department of Physics, Theoretical Physics Division,
    P.O. Box 9 Fin-00014, University of Helsinki, Finland
    E-mail:
    matpitka@rock.helsinki.fi
    URL-address:
    http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~matpitka

http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~matpitka/UFO.html#correlate

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2003 #2
    The second to last paragraph of this bizarre paper has something that may amount to the "intelligent balls of light" you were talking about in the other thread. However this has something to do with someone named Schuman, and his theories about something, and nothing to do with Persinger.

This Finnish person has pulled stuff in from all over the place in support of his point. I have no idea what his point is, who any of his sources are (beside Persinger), but since he's talking about consciousness in quantum terms, which is absurd, I suspect he's a total crackpot. I'm not sure how much physics he actually knows, but he knows squat about neurology.

4. Oct 22, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is what I saw
    I saw the citation for Persinger and thought that the entire passage was from him.

http://www.oulu.fi/~spaceweb/textbook/schumann.html

It turns out that these resonances land in the same range as alpha, beta, and theta wave frequencies in the brain. This alleged relationship between brainwaves and SRs is highly speculative to my knowledge.

5. Oct 22, 2003 #4
    Does this Finnish guy's physics actually make any sence at all?
    I was skimming looking for intelligent balls of light, but even if I hadn't been I don't know enough to make sence of what he's saying or judge if he has any valid points.

6. Oct 22, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, sort of, kind of...I'm not sure what to think. He is proposing radical new ideas that sound like nonsense or speculation at best. The physics alludes to credible subjects, but as far as I can tell nothing he asserts could be tested at this time. Note that this was not posted in the regular physics forum - this pretty much covers my initial impression. :wink:

The most important thing is that he's Finnish; clearly a genius!

7. Oct 22, 2003 #6
    I know of one piece of anecdotal evidence that would support this.
    An epileptic who did not suffer from photosensitivity (flashing light as a seizure trigger) reported having a seizure triggered by a moderately close lightning strike. Seizures arise from beta states, so it is just possible she was in the right spot to get hit with an SR at beta frequency. Up till now I figured it was triggered by plain old, startle. Could have been this, though.

8. Oct 22, 2003 #7
    Eh? Oh, I get it. "Seeking"'s and old Finnish name. Right?

9. Oct 22, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I first realized the potential relationship here I have wondered about mystic places e.g. those found in native american cultures. Could Schumann nodes exist? Might the earths topology and mineralogy effect local Schumann frequencies in such a way that humans are effected greatly but only in certain places? Also, could we see a coupling between Schumann effects and the local seismology?

Also, no; "Seeking" is meant as a verb. Yes I am that corny - See, I do have a lot of the Fin in me. Mackie is the old family name.

10. Oct 22, 2003 #9

If I understand the concept of "nodes" correctly they are the quiet spots in vibrating systems, aren't they?

I enjoy the way you're thinking about this but one problem seems to be that aside from lightning, which would be instantaneous, fleeting, and always striking at a different place, what would be generating the "Broadband EM Impulses" that get subdivided into the SRs? What would have generated them pre-Whiteman powerlines, radio, and TV?
    (Am I understanding these SRs correctly?)
    Ah, yes. The famous corny genius of the Finns. I should have known!
    AAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, tell me it's your mother's maiden name, and that I still don't know your real name!!!!!!!

11. Oct 22, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

It is believed that lightning drives this resonance. The natural harmonics determined by the wave guide - the gap between the earth and ionosphere - are active due to the EM produced by the discharges of lightning all around the world. You can build a Schumann reciever without great expense and listen to lightning around the world; the frequencies are just very low which makes for very long wavelenthts - like 7.8 times the circumference of the planet. Note that EM travels around the planet about 186,000 miles per second / 24000 miles = 7.75 times per second - the nominal fundamental Schumann frequency.

Why do you ask? This is a touchy bit of info due to its use for identity verification.

12. Oct 22, 2003 #11
    I had never heard of this before this article, so something good came out of it.
    I am used to Ivan Seeking. If I find out you have another name it only serves to disorient me. If it's your mother's maiden name then it is, at least, not your name. I suppose it could be one of your grandmother's maiden names, but that didn't occur to me in the throes of shock and awe. As I said before, if I ever discover you don't look like your avatar it will dangerously loosen my grip on reality.

13. Oct 22, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Relax. We just landed in Finland. The avatar is me. Also, you can't pronounce my real name with a human tongue; and to say my complete name properly one must use several orifices simultaneously.

14. Oct 22, 2003 #13
    Thank GOD! I was right on the brink of complete dementia.

15. Oct 22, 2003 #14
    LOL! I think this is esp. funny because I too tend to think you would look like your avatar! I've tried to put a picture of Prof. Frink for me but I couldn't find one small enough.

16. Oct 22, 2003 #15
    ok you guys have gotten really weird over here. Can't leave you two alone for a second.....

17. Oct 22, 2003 #16
    Call me weird all you want. Just don't even begin to hint your name isn't really Zantra.

18. Oct 23, 2003 #17
    Was that 'weird' comment refering to me? Who here is the one with the signature that says badger badger badger mushroom mushroom, ZANTRA? I know, I'm dorky, but I think it's funny...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?