Matti Pitkänen: Explaining UFO Experiences with TGD

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the theories proposed by Finnish physicist Matti Pitkänen regarding UFO experiences and religious experiences. He suggests that these experiences can be explained by interactions between the brain and Earth's geo-magnetic field, supported by the works of neuroscientist Michael Persinger. Pitkänen also introduces his own TGD inspired theory of consciousness, which suggests that the hierarchy of spacetime sheets represents a hierarchy of increasingly evolved lifeforms. This theory is consistent with Persinger's observations and proposes physical correlates for spiritual levels of subjective existence. However, due to the speculative nature of these ideas, their validity cannot be tested at this time.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Matti Pitk änen
Postal address:
Department of Physics, Theoretical Physics Division,
P.O. Box 9 Fin-00014, University of Helsinki, Finland
E-mail:
matpitka@rock.helsinki.fi
URL-address:
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~matpitka

Neuroscientist Michael Persinger has in turn proposed a reduction of not only UFO experiences but also religious experiences to interactions between brain and Earth's geo -magnetic field [Persinger]. In particular, Persinger suggests that geomagnetic perturbations generated by Earth -quakes at seismically active areas induce UFO experiences. Persinger has even developed a method yielding experiences of 'sensed presences' based on the stimulation of brain by patterns of magnetic pulses with single pulse lasting about one millisecond [Persinger].

In the following I shall propose that TGD inspired theory of consciousness [cbook,consc] allows different, non -materialistic, explanation of UFO experiences based on the hierarchy of the spacetime sheets representing hierarchy of increasingly evolved lifeforms. The explanation is consistent with the empirical observations of Persinger and also with the views of Terence McKenna and proposes concrete physical correlates for the spiritial levels of subjective existence.

http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~matpitka/UFO.html#correlate

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second to last paragraph of this bizarre paper has something that may amount to the "intelligent balls of light" you were talking about in the other thread. However this has something to do with someone named Schuman, and his theories about something, and nothing to do with Persinger.

This Finnish person has pulled stuff in from all over the place in support of his point. I have no idea what his point is, who any of his sources are (beside Persinger), but since he's talking about consciousness in quantum terms, which is absurd, I suspect he's a total crackpot. I'm not sure how much physics he actually knows, but he knows squat about neurology.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
The second to last paragraph of this bizarre paper has something that may amount to the "intelligent balls of light" you were talking about in the other thread. However this has something to do with someone named Schuman, and his theories about something, and nothing to do with Persinger.

This Finnish person has pulled stuff in from all over the place in support of his point. I have no idea what his point is, who any of his sources are (beside Persinger), but since he's talking about consciousness in quantum terms, which is absurd, I suspect he's a total crackpot. I'm not sure how much physics he actually knows, but he knows squat about neurology.

I think this is what I saw
Thus it is tempting to identify these resonances as one particular life form interacting strongly with human brain by driving important brain circuits. There is support for this hypothesis. Magnetic perturbations near Schumann frequencies are known to have profound effects on human brain inducing altered states of consciousness and cortical instabilities such microseizures and epilepsies [Persinger].

I saw the citation for Persinger and thought that the entire passage was from him.

Between the nearly perfectly conducting terrestrial surface and ionosphere, a resonating cavity is formed. Broadband electromagnetic impulses, like those from lightning flashes, fill this cavity, and create globally the so-called Schumann resonances at frequencies 5 - 50 Hz (Schumann, 1952; Bliokh et al., 1980; Sentman, 1987). The nominal average frequencies observed are 7.8, 14, 20, 26, 33, 39, and 45 Hz with slight diurnal variation (the three first lines can be seen in the figure displaying data from northern Finland, the Kilpisjärvi station). It has been suggested that the intensity of these lines could be used to monitor the global lightning activity, especially after the local time modulation by changes in D region height has been removed (e.g., Sentman and Fraser, 1991).

http://www.oulu.fi/~spaceweb/textbook/schumann.html

It turns out that these resonances land in the same range as alpha, beta, and theta wave frequencies in the brain. This alleged relationship between brainwaves and SRs is highly speculative to my knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this Finnish guy's physics actually make any sense at all?
I was skimming looking for intelligent balls of light, but even if I hadn't been I don't know enough to make sense of what he's saying or judge if he has any valid points.

Does this Finnish guy's physics actually make any sense at all?
I was skimming looking for intelligent balls of light, but even if I hadn't been I don't know enough to make sense of what he's saying or judge if he has any valid points.

Well, sort of, kind of...I'm not sure what to think. He is proposing radical new ideas that sound like nonsense or speculation at best. The physics alludes to credible subjects, but as far as I can tell nothing he asserts could be tested at this time. Note that this was not posted in the regular physics forum - this pretty much covers my initial impression. :wink:

The most important thing is that he's Finnish; clearly a genius!

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking It turns out that these resonances land in the same range as alpha, beta, and theta wave frequencies in the brain. This alleged relationship between brainwaves and SRs is highly speculative to my knowledge.
I know of one piece of anecdotal evidence that would support this.
An epileptic who did not suffer from photosensitivity (flashing light as a seizure trigger) reported having a seizure triggered by a moderately close lightning strike. Seizures arise from beta states, so it is just possible she was in the right spot to get hit with an SR at beta frequency. Up till now I figured it was triggered by plain old, startle. Could have been this, though.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking The most important thing is that he's Finnish; clearly a genius!
Eh? Oh, I get it. "Seeking"'s and old Finnish name. Right?

I know of one piece of anecdotal evidence that would support this.
An epileptic who did not suffer from photosensitivity (flashing light as a seizure trigger) reported having a seizure triggered by a moderately close lightning strike. Seizures arise from beta states, so it is just possible she was in the right spot to get hit with an SR at beta frequency. Up till now I figured it was triggered by plain old, startle. Could have been this, though.

Since I first realized the potential relationship here I have wondered about mystic places e.g. those found in native american cultures. Could Schumann nodes exist? Might the Earth's topology and mineralogy effect local Schumann frequencies in such a way that humans are effected greatly but only in certain places? Also, could we see a coupling between Schumann effects and the local seismology?

Also, no; "Seeking" is meant as a verb. Yes I am that corny - See, I do have a lot of the Fin in me. Mackie is the old family name.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Since I first realized the potential relationship here I have wondered about mystic places e.g. those found in native american cultures. Could Schumann nodes exist? Might the Earth's topology and mineralogy effect local Schumann frequencies in such a way that humans are effected greatly but only in certain places? Also, could we see a coupling between Schumann effects and the local seismology?

If I understand the concept of "nodes" correctly they are the quiet spots in vibrating systems, aren't they?

I enjoy the way you're thinking about this but one problem seems to be that aside from lightning, which would be instantaneous, fleeting, and always striking at a different place, what would be generating the "Broadband EM Impulses" that get subdivided into the SRs? What would have generated them pre-Whiteman powerlines, radio, and TV?
(Am I understanding these SRs correctly?)
Also, no; "Seeking" is meant as a verb. Yes I am that corny - See, I do have a lot of the Fin in me.
Ah, yes. The famous corny genius of the Finns. I should have known!
Mackie is the old family name.
AAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Please, tell me it's your mother's maiden name, and that I still don't know your real name!

If I understand the concept of "nodes" correctly they are the quiet spots in vibrating systems, aren't they?

Yes.

I enjoy the way you're thinking about this but one problem seems to be that aside from lightning, which would be instantaneous, fleeting, and always striking at a different place, what would be generating the "Broadband EM Impulses" that get subdivided into the SRs? What would have generated them pre-Whiteman powerlines, radio, and TV?
(Am I understanding these SRs correctly?)

It is believed that lightning drives this resonance. The natural harmonics determined by the wave guide - the gap between the Earth and ionosphere - are active due to the EM produced by the discharges of lightning all around the world. You can build a Schumann reciever without great expense and listen to lightning around the world; the frequencies are just very low which makes for very long wavelenthts - like 7.8 times the circumference of the planet. Note that EM travels around the planet about 186,000 miles per second / 24000 miles = 7.75 times per second - the nominal fundamental Schumann frequency.

Please, tell me it's your mother's maiden name, and that I still don't know your real name!

Why do you ask? This is a touchy bit of info due to its use for identity verification.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking It is believed that lightning drives this resonance.
I had never heard of this before this article, so something good came out of it.
Why do you ask? This is a touchy bit of info due to its use for identity verification.
I am used to Ivan Seeking. If I find out you have another name it only serves to disorient me. If it's your mother's maiden name then it is, at least, not your name. I suppose it could be one of your grandmother's maiden names, but that didn't occur to me in the throes of shock and awe. As I said before, if I ever discover you don't look like your avatar it will dangerously loosen my grip on reality.

I had never heard of this before this article, so something good came out of it.

I am used to Ivan Seeking. If I find out you have another name it only serves to disorient me. If it's your mother's maiden name then it is, at least, not your name. I suppose it could be one of your grandmother's maiden names, but that didn't occur to me in the throes of shock and awe. As I said before, if I ever discover you don't look like your avatar it will dangerously loosen my grip on reality.

Relax. We just landed in Finland. The avatar is me. Also, you can't pronounce my real name with a human tongue; and to say my complete name properly one must use several orifices simultaneously.

Thank GOD! I was right on the brink of complete dementia.

LOL! I think this is esp. funny because I too tend to think you would look like your avatar! I've tried to put a picture of Prof. Frink for me but I couldn't find one small enough.

ok you guys have gotten really weird over here. Can't leave you two alone for a second...

Originally posted by Zantra
ok you guys have gotten really weird over here. Can't leave you two alone for a second...
Call me weird all you want. Just don't even begin to hint your name isn't really Zantra.

Was that 'weird' comment referring to me? Who here is the one with the signature that says badger badger badger mushroom mushroom, ZANTRA? I know, I'm dorky, but I think it's funny...

1. What is TGD?

TGD stands for Topological Geometrodynamics, which is a theoretical framework developed by Matti Pitkänen to explain the fundamental laws of physics.

2. How does TGD explain UFO experiences?

TGD proposes that UFOs could be caused by the interaction of the Earth's magnetic field with the magnetic fields of cosmic strings, which are hypothetical one-dimensional objects predicted by TGD.

3. Can TGD be tested or proven?

As with any scientific theory, TGD can be tested through experiments and observations. However, it is still a developing theory and has not been proven yet.

4. Is TGD widely accepted by the scientific community?

TGD is still considered a fringe theory and is not widely accepted by the scientific community. However, it has gained some attention and interest among certain researchers.

5. How does TGD differ from other theories about UFOs?

TGD differs from other theories in that it is based on a unique theoretical framework and proposes a specific mechanism for UFOs that is not commonly seen in other theories. It also takes into account various phenomena such as dark matter and consciousness, which are not typically addressed in other theories.

Back