Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminate some spyware on this computer

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    I need to eliminate some spyware on this computer but I don't know how to do that because it is in my system registry. Anyone knows any good adware that can help? Adware6.0 doesn't help at all. Thanks a lot..
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2
    I also have Adware-Spy but this soft asks me to pay before eliminating the junks. I also have Spyware-Adware Remover but this is the same as Adware6.0. It can't catch all the spyware in my system registry as can Adware-Spy...Please help. I hate two spyware of Microsoft and nine others. I am telling the truth, not joking or lurking. They are 11 in all.
  4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    1. Download and install Adaware (free edition). (Click on "Adaware" in the left-hand column near the top at their website to download the free edition.)

2. After installing go to Start > Programs > Lavasoft and click on AdAware 6 to open the program

3. Look at the icons on the top right of the page and click on the ‘world’ and let AdAware update the spyware reference list (Note: Always update Adaware before you scan.)

4. Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window

1. In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected:
    · Automatically save log-file
    · Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
    · Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

2. Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select :
    · Scan Within Archives
    · Scan Active Processes
    · Scan Registry
    · Deep Scan Registry
    · Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
    · Scan my Hosts file
    · Under ‘Click here to select drives + folders’, choose:
    · All of your hard drives

3. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select:
    · Include additional process information
    · Include additional file information
    · Include environment information
    · Include additional object details

4. Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select:
    · Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
    · Unload recognized processes during scanning
    · Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
    · Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
    · Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
    · Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

5. Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.

6. Click ‘Start’ and on the next screen choose ‘Activate in-depth Scan’ at the bottom of the page and then choose:
    · Use Custom Scanning Options

7. Click ‘Next’ and AdAware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.

8. Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘finish’

9. REBOOT

Also download spybot

1. Next, download and install Spybot Search and Destroy.

2. Go to Start > Programs >Spybot - Search & Destroy and choose ‘Spybot S&D - easy mode’

3. Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D

4. Click the button to ‘Search for Updates’ and download and install the Updates.

5. Next click the button ‘Check for Problems’

6. When Spybot is complete, it will be showing ‘RED’ entries ‘BLACK’ entries and ‘GREEN’ entries in the window

7. Put a check mark beside the RED entries ONLY.

8. Choose ‘Fix Selected Problems’ and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.

9. REBOOT

run house call

Then please go to HouseCall Free Online Virus Scanner, http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame,
    and run the online virus scan. Please select the Autoclean option when prompted

Downlaod and run the latest version of CWshredder.

Finally download and run hijackthis! I'm pretty sure you can get it at www.download.com. If not just search google. Post the results of you hijackthis log on a professional computer help forum like www.computercops.biz for help. Do not delete anything the log lists unless you know what you are doing.

You can find any of the programs that I said on the internet for free. After you clean your computer I would highly recommend that you download mozilla firefox and use it as your primary browser. Disable internet explorer and never use it again because there are so many security leaks in it.
  5. Oct 11, 2004 #4
    I posted that from an earlier post I made. If you do all those steps to adaware, it makes adaware 100x's more powerful.
  6. Oct 11, 2004 #5
    I mean you are really nice and kind to post so much..:biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?