Eliminating the Parameter in a Hyperbolic Curve

• Thread starter Sarangalex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of eliminating parameters to find a Cartesian equation of a curve, as well as sketching the curve and indicating its direction as the parameter increases. The equations x = 2cosh(t) and y = 5sinh(t) are given, along with cosh^2(x) - sinh^2(x) = 1. The attempt at a solution includes finding the values of cosh(t) and sinh(t), and using them to eliminate the parameter and obtain the Cartesian equation (x^(2)/4) - (y^(2)/25) = 1. However, it is noted that the graphs of the parametric and Cartesian equations do not match exactly, with the latter taking
Sarangalex

Homework Statement

a) Eleminate the parameter to find a Cartesian equation of the curve.

b) Sketch the curve and indicate with an arrow the direction in which the curve is traced as the parameter increases.

Homework Equations

x = 2cosh(t) y = 5sinh(t)
cosh^2(x) - sinh^2(x) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

cosh(t) = x/2 sinh(t) = y/5

(x^(2)/4) - (y^(2)/25) = 1

y = +/- sqrt(25/4(x^2) - 25)

This is the best guess I have here, and the graphs look similar... I just really don't know what to do from here (or even if I'm going about it the right way). Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarangalex said:

Homework Statement

a) Eleminate the parameter to find a Cartesian equation of the curve.

b) Sketch the curve and indicate with an arrow the direction in which the curve is traced as the parameter increases.

Homework Equations

x = 2cosh(t) y = 5sinh(t)
cosh^2(x) - sinh^2(x) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

cosh(t) = x/2 sinh(t) = y/5

(x^(2)/4) - (y^(2)/25) = 1

y = +/- sqrt(25/4(x^2) - 25)

This is the best guess I have here, and the graphs look similar... I just really don't know what to do from here (or even if I'm going about it the right way). Any help would be appreciated.

I think you are doing fine so far. What part of this are you having a problem with?

Dick said:
I think you are doing fine so far. What part of this are you having a problem with?

I graphed the Cartesian equation(s) I got, and the graphs didn't exactly match up.

Sarangalex said:
I graphed the Cartesian equation(s) I got, and the graphs didn't exactly match up.

In what way didn't they match up? I hope in y = +/- sqrt(25/4(x^2) - 25) you meant y = +/- sqrt((25x^2)/4 - 25). You didn't use enough parentheses in the 25/4(x^2) to make it clear what you meant.

Dick said:
In what way didn't they match up? I hope in y = +/- sqrt(25/4(x^2) - 25) you meant y = +/- sqrt((25x^2)/4 - 25). You didn't use enough parentheses in the 25/4(x^2) to make it clear what you meant.

I'm sorry; that is what I was meaning to type. Well, the parametric graph only takes up the first quadrant; however, the Cartesian graph takes up all four.

Cartesian graph:

http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP419219ih3hd5eb510179000016g700d6idee9f8f?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=4&w=200&h=204&cdf=RangeControl

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarangalex said:
I'm sorry; that is what I was meaning to type. Well, the parametric graph only takes up the first quadrant; however, the Cartesian graph takes up all four.

Cartesian graph:

http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP419219ih3hd5eb510179000016g700d6idee9f8f?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=4&w=200&h=204&cdf=RangeControl

That sort of thing would be normal. It happens when you square things. You wind up getting more solutions than you started with. If you take 0<t<infinity you are only going to get the first quadant of this graph. If you take -infinity<t<infinity then you should get both quadrants with x>0. The parametric form won't give you any of the points where x<0 since cosh(t)>0. If you really want the cartesian form to reflect that then you could solve for x in terms of y and then just take the positive square root.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick said:
That sort of thing would be normal. If you take 0<t<infinity you are only going to get the first quadant of this graph. If you take -infinity<t<infinity then you should get both quadrants with x>0. The parametric form won't give you any of the points where x<0 since cosh(t)>0. If you really want the cartesian form to reflect that then you could solve for x in terms of y and then just take the positive square root.

Oh, I see. Thank you very much for your help.

What does "Eliminate the Parameter" mean and why is it important?

"Eliminate the Parameter" refers to the process of removing a parameter, or variable, from a mathematical equation or function. This is important because it allows us to simplify equations and better understand their behavior.

How do you eliminate a parameter from an equation?

To eliminate a parameter from an equation, we can use substitution or elimination methods. In substitution, we replace the parameter with an expression in terms of other variables. In elimination, we use algebraic manipulations to remove the parameter and solve for the remaining variables.

What is the purpose of eliminating a parameter?

The purpose of eliminating a parameter is to gain a better understanding of the relationship between the remaining variables in an equation. It also allows us to solve for specific values and make predictions about the behavior of the equation.

Can you provide an example of "Eliminate the Parameter" in action?

Yes, for example, in the equation x = t^2 + 2t + 1, we can eliminate the parameter t by substituting it with x - 1, which gives us the equation x = (x-1)^2 + 2(x-1) + 1. This allows us to solve for x and understand how the value of x changes with respect to the remaining variables.

Is "Eliminate the Parameter" a common technique in scientific research?

Yes, "Eliminate the Parameter" is a commonly used technique in scientific research, especially in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It allows scientists to simplify complex equations and better understand the underlying relationships between variables in their experiments and studies.