1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminate the Parameter

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Eleminate the parameter to find a Cartesian equation of the curve.

b) Sketch the curve and indicate with an arrow the direction in which the curve is traced as the parameter increases.

2. Relevant equations

x = 2cosh(t) y = 5sinh(t)
    cosh^2(x) - sinh^2(x) = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

cosh(t) = x/2 sinh(t) = y/5

(x^(2)/4) - (y^(2)/25) = 1

y = +/- sqrt(25/4(x^2) - 25)

This is the best guess I have here, and the graphs look similar... I just really don't know what to do from here (or even if I'm going about it the right way). Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are doing fine so far. What part of this are you having a problem with?

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3
    I graphed the Cartesian equation(s) I got, and the graphs didn't exactly match up.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In what way didn't they match up? I hope in y = +/- sqrt(25/4(x^2) - 25) you meant y = +/- sqrt((25x^2)/4 - 25). You didn't use enough parentheses in the 25/4(x^2) to make it clear what you meant.

6. Jan 8, 2012 #5
    I'm sorry; that is what I was meaning to type. Well, the parametric graph only takes up the first quadrant; however, the Cartesian graph takes up all four.

Cartesian graph:

http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP419219ih3hd5eb510179000016g700d6idee9f8f?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=4&w=200&h=204&cdf=RangeControl [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jan 8, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sort of thing would be normal. It happens when you square things. You wind up getting more solutions than you started with. If you take 0<t<infinity you are only going to get the first quadant of this graph. If you take -infinity<t<infinity then you should get both quadrants with x>0. The parametric form won't give you any of the points where x<0 since cosh(t)>0. If you really want the cartesian form to reflect that then you could solve for x in terms of y and then just take the positive square root.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Jan 8, 2012 #7
    Oh, I see. Thank you very much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook