Eliminating Theta: Steps to Follow

• Thread starter sahilmm15
  • Start date
In summary: I will take care of it next time.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to eliminate theta from the equations cos^2(theta) = m sin(theta) and sin^2(theta) = n cos(theta). Suggestions are made to convert to tan and cot or to find independent values of sin(theta) and cos(theta) in terms of m and n. The conversation also addresses the use of boldface text and clarifies that it does not necessarily mean shouting.
sahilmm15
Homework Statement
If ##cosec\theta - sin\theta = m## and ##sec\theta - cos\theta = n##, then eliminate ##\theta##
Relevant Equations
N/A
I did try a few steps:-​
After converting both the equations in terms of cos and sin I got-
$$cos^2\theta = msin\theta$$
and $$sin^2\theta = ncos\theta$$.

That's all what I am able to do. Cant find how do I eliminate ##\theta## from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming this is right what you have done, then changing to ##\tan ## and ##\cot## seems to be an option.

fresh_42 said:
Assuming this is right what you have done, then changing to ##\tan ## and ##\cot## seems to be an option.
How do we change to ##tan\theta## and ##cot\theta## to eliminate ##\theta##

sahilmm15 said:
How do we change to ##tan\theta## and ##cot\theta## to eliminate ##\theta##
By dividing the equations. At last you still have ##\sin^2+\cos^2=1##.

fresh_42 said:
By dividing the equations. At last you still have ##\sin^2+\cos^2=1##.
By dividing both the equations we get ##cot^3\theta = {\frac{m}{n}}##

And? What do you get from the other hint I gave?

fresh_42 said:
And? What do you get from the other hint I gave?
I can't figure it out. The only way to make use of ##sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta## is by adding both the two equations??

sahilmm15 said:
I can't figure it out. The only way to make use of ##sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta## is by adding both the two equations??
I am not sure whether this is necessary. You can already solve for ##\theta## by taking the cubic root. However, the other equation can be used to check the result.

fresh_42 said:
I am not sure whether this is necessary. You can already solve for ##\theta## by taking the cubic root. However, the other equation can be used to check the result.
I think we need to find the independent values of ##sin\theta## and ##cos\theta## (in terms of m and n) and then put in ##sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta ## to get rid of ##\theta##, but that would be tedious.

sahilmm15 said:
I think we need to find the independent values of ##sin\theta## and ##cos\theta## (in terms of m and n) and then put in ##sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta ## to get rid of ##\theta##, but that would be tedious.
That is not what you wrote. Your text says
... then eliminate ##\theta##
And under the assumption you made no mistake, you got ##\theta =\operatorname{arc}\cot \sqrt[3]{\dfrac{m}{n}}##.

fresh_42 said:
That is not what you wrote. Your text says And under the assumption you made no mistake, you got ##\theta =\operatorname{arc}\cot \sqrt[3]{\dfrac{m}{n}}##.
The question states under the given conditions eliminate ##\theta##. It means there should be no ##\theta## in the answer. Then it implies answer should be in the terms of m and n( a relation between m and n where there is no ##\theta##).

sahilmm15 said:
The question states under the given conditions eliminate ##\theta##. It means there should be no ##\theta## in the answer. Then it implies answer should be in the terms of m and n( a relation between m and n where there is no ##\theta##).
And since we have ##\theta=\theta(n,m)## we can substitute every occurrence of ##\theta ## by an expression which only has ##n,m## in it. This is an elimination. And please stop shouting!

• Informative
Likes sahilmm15
fresh_42 said:
And since we have ##\theta=\theta(n,m)## we can substitute every occurrence of ##\theta ## by an expression which only has ##n,m## in it. This is an elimination. And please stop shouting!
To be honest, I was not shouting. And I think it is not fair of you to assume anything. There are bold and italics formatting tools to convey ones expressions and what they are thinking, and it doesn't mean one is shouting when they are using them.

Yes, and boldface means shouting on the internet.

I do not like that solution either, and I am not sure whether we lost information on the way by squaring or dividing. I would check it with some easy values for ##n,m##.

Likes sahilmm15
fresh_42 said:
Yes, and boldface means shouting on the internet.

I do not like that solution either, and I am not sure whether we lost information on the way by squaring or dividing. I would check it with some easy values for ##n,m##.
Lol, honestly I didn't knew that it meant shouting. So I misinterpreted you. I am sorry.

1. What is the purpose of "Eliminating Theta"?

The purpose of "Eliminating Theta" is to reduce or eliminate the presence of the Greek letter theta in mathematical equations. This can make the equations simpler and easier to solve.

2. Why is theta considered a problematic variable?

Theta is considered problematic because it often represents an unknown angle or variable in equations. This can make it difficult to solve for other variables and can lead to more complex equations.

3. What are the steps to follow in order to eliminate theta?

The steps to follow in order to eliminate theta may vary depending on the specific equation, but generally involve using trigonometric identities or substitution to replace theta with known values. It may also involve rearranging the equation or using other mathematical techniques.

4. Can theta be eliminated in all equations?

No, theta cannot be eliminated in all equations. In some cases, it may be necessary to use theta in the equation or it may not be possible to solve for other variables without it. However, in many cases, eliminating theta can make the equation simpler and easier to solve.

5. Are there any drawbacks to eliminating theta?

There may be drawbacks to eliminating theta, depending on the specific equation and the techniques used. Eliminating theta may make the equation simpler, but it may also lead to loss of information or accuracy in the solution. It is important to carefully consider the effects of eliminating theta before doing so in any equation.