How Do I Eliminate a Parameter in a Parametric Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Casio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary: But I now see that this method you have shown me also works;2x = 2t - 52x = 2t2x = 2(x + 5)2x = 2x + 102x - 2x = + 100 = + 102y = 14t + 912y = t + 9The task is to eliminate t2x = 2t - 52x = 2(x + 5)2x =
Casio1
I would appreciate a little help with a parametric equation please.

Example.

PHP:
x = t + 1
PHP:
y = 3t - 2

I want to eliminate t

PHP:
x = t + 1
so I change the sides

PHP:
t = x - 1

I now bring in the second equation

PHP:
y = 3t - 2 = 3(x - 1) - 2 = 3x - 5

PHP:
y = 3x - 5

The above I have understood, but my next equation I am getting confused with.

PHP:
2x = 2t - 5
PHP:
2y = 14t + 9

I want to eliminate t

I am more than likely incorrect but am thinking along the lines of;

PHP:
2x = 2t - 5
PHP:
x = t - 5
PHP:
t = x + 5

Therefore I can use x + 5 in place of t

In the next equation I think

PHP:
2y = 14t + 9

PHP:
12y = t + 9

PHP:
3y = t

PHP:
t = 3y

combine the equations

PHP:
t = 3y (x + 5)

PHP:
t = 3xy + 15

I not sure any help appreciated(Smile)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
I would appreciate a little help with a parametric equation please.

Example.

PHP:
x = t + 1
PHP:
y = 3t - 2

I want to eliminate t

PHP:
x = t + 1
so I change the sides

PHP:
t = x - 1

I now bring in the second equation

PHP:
y = 3t - 2 = 3(x - 1) - 2 = 3x - 5

PHP:
y = 3x - 5

PHP:
2x = 2t - 5
PHP:
2y = 14t + 9

I want to eliminate t

I am more than likely incorrect but am thinking along the lines of;

PHP:
2x = 2t - 5
PHP:
x = t - 5
What, exactly, did you do to go from one equation to the other?

PHP:
t = x + 5

Therefore I can use x + 5 in place of t

In the next equation I think

PHP:
2y = 14t + 9

PHP:
12y = t + 9
Now did "2y= 14t+ 9" become "12y= t+ 9"?

PHP:
3y = t
I think you tried to subtract 9 from both sides of 12y= t+ 9. But "subtract 9" is not the same as "subtract 9x".

PHP:
t = 3y

combine the equations

PHP:
t = 3y (x + 5)

PHP:
t = 3xy + 15

I not sure any help appreciated(Smile)
You see to have forgotten that the object was to eliminate t. You keep putting t back into the equations!

Casio said:

2x = 2t - 5

2y = 14t + 9

I want to eliminate t

Multiply the first equation by 7 to get:

14x = 14t - 35

then:

14t = 14x + 35

which may be substituted into the second equation to eliminate t.

CB

It seems that some questions even with the best of intentions would be answered incorrectly by any person trying to help another forum members, if the question being asked had to be answered in accordance with the solutions of another previous question already answered, so my applogies for that as I did not fully understand the question I had been trying to answer.

The equation was;

2x = 2t - 5, 2y = 14t + 9

The task is to elliminate t

2x = 2t - 5

2t = 2x + 5

So at this point t is elliminated because I can now use 2x + 5 in it's place.

2y = 14t + 9

2y = 14(2x + 5) + 9

2y = 28x + 70 + 9

2y = 28x + 79

y = 28x + 79 / 2

Now in the previous part of the question (Not Shown) the midpoint rule used calculated that the coordinates recorded a mean figure at -5/2 and the y intercept was found to be 9/2

So by putting the solution above into the equation just worked out, we get;

y = 28(-5/2)+79 / 2

y = 9/2

Now whether I am 100% right or not remains to be seen, but if I had posted the complete question I think members would have not replied, as few have done!

But thanks anyway.

Casio said:
It seems that some questions even with the best of intentions would be answered incorrectly by any person trying to help another forum members, if the question being asked had to be answered in accordance with the solutions of another previous question already answered, so my applogies for that as I did not fully understand the question I had been trying to answer.

The equation was;

2x = 2t - 5, 2y = 14t + 9

The task is to elliminate t

2x = 2t - 5

2t = 2x + 5

So at this point t is elliminated because I can now use 2x + 5 in it's place.

No you can't, you have at this point \(2t=2x+5\), so \(t=x+\frac{5}{2}\). Which is what you have to substitute for \(t\).

(and the last part of your last post is incomprehensible, it is always a good idea to post the real question and what you have done to get to where you are asking for help)

CB

CaptainBlack said:
No you can't, you have at this point \(2t=2x+5\), so \(t=x+\frac{5}{2}\). Which is what you have to substitute for \(t\).

(and the last part of your last post is incomprehensible, it is always a good idea to post the real question and what you have done to get to where you are asking for help)

CB

Your right I missed the understanding.

2t = 2x + 5, so divide by sides by 2

t = x + 5

Now I can substitute x + 5 into the second equation.

2y = 14t + 9

2y = 14(x + 5) + 9

2y = 14x + 70 + 9

2y = 14x + 79.

Divide by sides by 2

y = 14x + 79 / 2

y = 14(-5/2) + 79 / 2

y = -35 + 79 / 2

y = 22

Casio said:
Your right I missed the understanding.

2t = 2x + 5, so divide by sides by 2

t = x + 5

Wrong! I have already done this for you. If you divide 2x+5 by 2 you get x+(5/2)

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Wrong! I have already done this for you. If you divide 2x+5 by 2 you get x+(5/2)

CB

I can see there is more than one way to get rid of "t", and I thank you for your assistance in this matter.

I also see that this method works;

2x = 2t - 5
2t = 2x + 5

as you pointed out multiply by 7

14x = 14t - 35

14t = 14x + 35

t = x + 35

2y = 14t + 9

2y = 14(x + 35)+9

2y = 14x + 44

y = 14x + 44 / 2 or y = 7x + 22

I am sure this method is correct as it seems to agree with the graph produced on the computer package.

Thanks again CB

Casio said:
I can see there is more than one way to get rid of "t", and I thank you for your assistance in this matter.

2x = 2t - 5
2t = 2x + 5

14x = 14t - 35

14t = 14x + 35

t = x + 35

2y = 14t + 9

2y = 14(x + 35)+9

2y = 14x + 44

I am sure this method is correct as it seems to agree with the graph produced on the computer package.

Thanks again CB

Learn to use brackets to make your expressions mean what you want them to mean, you want y = 14x + 44 / 2 to mean y=(14x+44)/2 but what you have does not mean that it means y=14x+(44/2)

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Learn to use brackets to make your expressions mean what you want them to mean, you want y = 14x + 44 / 2 to mean y=(14x+44)/2 but what you have does not mean that it means y=14x+(44/2)

CB

I don't profess to understand what you wrote above?

I have looked at the graph and the intercept and the maths seems to show the same result, are you saying that it is still incorrect?

Casio said:

I have looked at the graph and the intercept and the maths seems to show the same result, are you saying that it is still incorrect?

I believe he is saying that your notation is ambiguous sometimes. For example y=14x+44/2 could mean \(\displaystyle y=\frac{14x+44}{2}\) or it could mean \(\displaystyle y=14x+\frac{44}{2}\). Using the order of operations in the usual sense y = 14x+44/2 would simplify to y=14x+22.

Casio said:

Your final answer is correct but what CB is saying is that 14x + 44/2 does not mean 7x + 22, it means 14x + 22. The point is that you know what you mean but someone marking your work will not because it is wrong as written. CB is saying that you need to learn how to use brackets correctly, what you should have written was (14x + 44)/2 = 7x + 22. If you cannot see the difference then there is no point in further discussion on it.

Casio said:

2x = 2t - 5
2t = 2x + 5

Yes, you could do that but there is no REASON to do it.
Do you understand why Captain Black multiplied by 7 in post #3?

14x = 14t - 35

14t = 14x + 35

t = x + 35

2y = 14t + 9

2y = 14(x + 35)+9

2y = 14x + 44

Thanks again CB

Casio said:

2x = 2t - 5
2t = 2x + 5

14x = 14t - 35

14t = 14x + 35
Yes, this is correct. You have multiplied each of the three terms by 7.

t = x + 35
? And not the 7 as well as the original 2 have simply disappeared! There is no point in multiplying by 7 if you immediately get rid of the 7. I will ask again, what did you do to go from "14t= 14x+ 35"?

What you can do, algebraically, to get from 14t= 14x+ 35 to t= x+ ... is to divide both sides, and so each term, by 14. What does 35/14 reduce to? More simply, rather than multiplying by 7, you could go from 2t= 2x+ 5 by dividing both sides, and so each term, by 2: t= x+ 5/2. You were told that before.

2y = 14t + 9
Now, here is a very good reason for multiplying by 7 as you did before- you don't want t, you want 14t!

2y = 14(x + 35)+9
and now, you have thrown "multply by 7" away and repeating the mistake that was pointed out before- t is NOT equal to x+ 35. From 2t= 2x+ 35, dividing on both sides by 2 gives t= x+ 35/2. But, more important, you can replace 14t by what you had before, 14x+ 35:
2y= 14x+ 9= (14t+ 35)+ 9

2y = 14x + 44
Yes, this is correct but I have no idea how you gtot it! What you wrote was 2y= 14(x+ 35)+ 9= 14x+ 14(35)+ 9= 14x+ 490.

Thanks again CB
You seem to have great difficulty understanding what parentheses mean.

What is "Eliminating a Parameter"?

"Eliminating a Parameter" is a mathematical process used to rewrite a system of equations in terms of a single variable, instead of using multiple variables. This technique is often used in calculus and algebra to solve equations and find solutions.

Why do we need to eliminate parameters?

Eliminating parameters allows us to simplify complex equations and better understand the relationship between variables. It can also help us find specific solutions to equations that may be difficult to solve with multiple variables.

What are the steps to eliminate a parameter?

The first step is to identify the parameter that needs to be eliminated. Next, use substitution or elimination techniques to rewrite the equations in terms of a single variable. Finally, solve for the variable to find the solution to the system of equations.

Can eliminating a parameter result in multiple solutions?

Yes, eliminating a parameter can result in multiple solutions. This is because different values for the eliminated parameter can result in different solutions for the remaining variable. It is important to check the solutions to make sure they are valid for all equations in the system.

Are there any limitations to eliminating parameters?

Eliminating parameters can be a useful tool, but it may not always be possible or practical to eliminate all parameters from a system of equations. Some equations may have too many variables or be too complex to solve using this method. It is important to assess each problem individually to determine if eliminating parameters is a viable approach.