1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eliminating the parameter

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    Express the set of parametric equations x = E^t + e^-t and y = e^t - e^-t without using the parameter t.

I really have no idea how to do this one. I tried substituting, and it just turned into a jumbled mess of nothing. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    did you try squaring the x and the y equations ?

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    well I got x^2 = e^2t + 2 + e^-2t and y^2 = e^2t - 2 + e^-2t but I dont know where to go from there

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4
    if you move the 2's to the other side, your right hand sides are basically equal.

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5
    OH!!! Thanks! So if I understand correctly, ill move the twos over and get the right sides to be the same and x^2 - 2 and y^2 +2. Then I should set these two equal to each other and find y, which comes out to be (plus or minus) the square root of x^2 - 4?

7. Feb 24, 2010 #6
    I think you need to take only the 'plus', because if I'm not mistaken, Y can't be negative according to the parametric equations.
    So the range is Y=>0.
    I am not really sure about this.
    even if 't' is negative (do you have the domain of t ?), these equations can never be negative (neither the X nor the Y).
    again, im not really sure about this.

can you check the answers in the book ?

8. Feb 24, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, x^2-y^2=4. If that's what you mean. There's no need to solve for x or y is you just want to eliminate the parameter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook