Parametric to Cartesian Conversion: Troubleshooting and Identifying Mistakes

• Thread starter autre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary, to eliminate the parameter in the given parametric function and find a Cartesian equation, the substitution t = tan u is used. However, a mistake was made in the y(t) equation, resulting in an incorrect graph. The correct equation is y(t) = 2tan u / (1 + tan^2 u).
autre
I have the parametric function x(t) = (1-t^2)/(1+t^2), y(t) = 2t/(1+t^2) and need to eliminate the parameter and find a Cartesian equation.

I've tried to substitute t = tan u, then x(t) = cos(2u) and y(t) = tan(2u). From that I get y = sin(2x)/x. However, when I entered the original parametric function into a grapher, I get an entirely different graph. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
autre said:
I've tried to substitute t = tan u, then x(t) = cos(2u) and y(t) = tan(2u).

I'm not getting that for the y(t) equation. I think it's because you got your identity confused.
[tex]\frac{2\tan u}{1 - \tan^2 u} = \tan 2u[/tex]
(minus in the denominator)

But here we have:
[tex]y(t) = \frac{2\tan u}{1 + \tan^2 u} = \frac{2\tan u}{\sec^2 u} = ...[/tex]

1. What is the concept of "Eliminating the parameter" in mathematics?

"Eliminating the parameter" is a technique used in mathematics to convert a parametric equation into a Cartesian equation. It involves eliminating the parameter from the equations by substituting it with its corresponding value from the other equation.

2. Why is it important to eliminate the parameter in a parametric equation?

Eliminating the parameter allows us to express the relationship between variables in a more simplified and familiar form. This makes it easier to analyze and solve mathematical problems involving parametric equations.

3. How do you eliminate the parameter from a set of parametric equations?

To eliminate the parameter, we can solve one of the equations for the parameter and substitute it into the other equation. This will result in a Cartesian equation that expresses the relationship between the variables without the use of a parameter.

4. Can all parametric equations be eliminated?

No, not all parametric equations can be eliminated. Some parametric equations may have a unique solution that cannot be expressed in a Cartesian form. In these cases, it is not possible to eliminate the parameter.

5. When is it more beneficial to use parametric equations instead of Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations are often used to describe complex and non-linear curves or motion. They can also be more useful when working with vectors in physics and engineering problems. In these cases, using parametric equations can provide a more efficient and accurate representation of the problem compared to using Cartesian equations.