Can You Reduce Simultaneous Equations by Eliminating Variables?

• Thread starter BobbyBear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, in general, if you have m equations with n variables, n> m, you can reduce to m-1 equations with n-1 variables and, repeating, eventually arrive at one equation with n-(m-1)= n-m+1 variable. This is done by eliminating variables and writing them as functions of the "free" variables. However, this method may not always give unique solutions as some equations may be dependent on others. This can be seen through examples or through Cramer's rule for linear equations. For non-linear equations, there may not be a general way to prove dependence of equations.
BobbyBear
I'm a bit stuck with the idea of eliminating variables from a set of simultaneous equations . . . for example, suppose you have two equations (with more than 3 variables), could you, in principle, reduce it to one equation with one variable less?

And if you had three equations with let's say 4 variables, could you, in principle, reduce them to 2 equations with 3 variables, and them in turn to one equation with 2 variables?

So in general, if you have m equations and n variables, with n>m, then can you, in principle, eliminate m-1 variables, so that you end up with a single equation with n-(m-1) variables? Is this correct? (I say in principle because I suppose you need to assume all the equations are independent and stuff like that:P).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, in general, if you have m equations with n variables, n> m, you can reduce to m-1 equations with n-1 variables and, repeating, eventually arrive at one equation with n-(m-1)= n-m+1 variable. You could then write one of those variables as a function of the other n-m variables and, working back, eventually write all variables as functions of those n-m "free variables".

Here is an example. Find a basis for the subspace of all (x, y, z) in R3 satisfying x+ y- z= 0 and x- y+ 2z= 0 (two equations in 3 variables). Adding those equations together I get 2x+ z= 0 (one equation in two variabes) so z= -2x. Putting that into the first equation, x+ y-(-2x)= 3x+ y= 0 so y= -3x. Any such vector is of the form (x, -3x, -2x)= x(1, -3, -2). The single vector (1, -3, -2) forms a basis for that (one dimensional) subspace.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, in general, if you have m equations with n variables, n> m, you can reduce to m-1 equations with n-1 variables and, repeating, eventually arrive at one equation with n-(m-1)= n-m+1 variable. You could then write one of those variables as a function of the other n-m variables and, working back, eventually write all variables as functions of those n-m "free variables".

Here is an example. Find a basis for the subspace of all (x, y, z) in R3 satisfying x+ y- z= 0 and x- y+ 2z= 0 (two equations in 3 variables). Adding those equations together I get 2x+ z= 0 (one equation in two variabes) so z= -2x. Putting that into the first equation, x+ y-(-2x)= 3x+ y= 0 so y= -3x. Any such vector is of the form (x, -3x, -2x)= x(1, -3, -2). The single vector (1, -3, -2) forms a basis for that (one dimensional) subspace.

Thank you Ivy:)

so basically what you have done in that example is write a set of two implicit functions as explicit functions of x, that is, you have solved the system for y and z (can I put it like that?). It's like, you've considered the 'free' variable to be x, ie., as if it were a parameter instead of a variable, and you've solved the system of two equations with two unknown variables y and z.

So eliminating variables is the first step to actually solving an implicit system of equations to end up with explicit equations, or parametric equations, yes? But it's also obtaining implicit equations from explicit ones, no?

Say for example, I'm given a curve in space by its parametric equations:

[tex]x=f(s)[/tex]
[tex]y=g(s)[/tex]
[tex]z=h(s)[/tex]

I could eliminate s to obtain two implicit functions by doing the following:

[tex]x=f(s) \rightarrow s=f^{-1}(x)[/tex]
[tex]y=g(s) \rightarrow s=g^{-1}(y)[/tex]
[tex]z=h(s) \rightarrow s=h^{-1}(z)[/tex]

from which:

[tex]f^{-1}(x)=g^{-1}(y)[/tex]
[tex]g^{-1}(y)=h^{-1}(z)[/tex]

ie.
[tex]F(x,y)=0[/tex]
[tex]G(y,z)=0[/tex]

which would be the two surfaces whose intersection is the curve.

But now suppose I'm given the parametric equations of a surface:

[tex]x=f(u,v)[/tex]
[tex]y=g(u,v)[/tex]
[tex]z=h(u,v)[/tex]

In theory, I could eliminate u and v and I'd be left with a single equation in the variables x,y and z, which would be the implicit equation of the surface. But, say if from the first two equations I solve for u and v, and I do the same using the second pair of equations, I'd have:

[tex]u=f_1(x,y)[/tex]
[tex]v=f_2(x,y)[/tex]
and
[tex]u=g_1(y,z)[/tex]
[tex]v=g_2(y,z)[/tex]

and eliminating u and v from these four equations, I have:

[tex]f_1(x,y)=g_1(y,z)[/tex]
[tex]f_2(x,y)=g_2(y,z)[/tex]

ie. I end up with two equations in the variables x,y and z instead of just one!

[tex]f_1(x,y)=g_1(y,z) \rightarrow F(x,y,z)=0[/tex]
[tex]f_2(x,y)=g_2(y,z) \rightarrow G(x,y,z)=0[/tex]

which define a curve, not a surface. Can you tell me where I am going wrong?

The two equations are not independent. For example, suppose your equations are x= u+v, y= u- v, z= 2u+ v (describing a plane). From the first two equations you get u= (x+y)/2 and then v= u- y= (x- y)/2. From the last two equations, u= (y+z)/3 and then v= u- y= (z- 2y)/3. Now combine those: u= (x+y)/2= (y+z)/3 give 3x+ 3y= 2y+ 2z or 3x+ y- 2z= 0. v= (x- y)/2= (z- 2y)/3 or 3x- 3y= 2z- 4y: 3x+ y- 2z= 0 again!

HallsofIvy said:
The two equations are not independent.

Ivy, I love you!

Okay but, I assume this will always be the case . . . but how can one see this if it's not through a particular example?

Okay wait, in the case of linear equations it's easy to show in general that the equations are dependent:

[tex] x=f(u,v)=Au+Bv[/tex]
[tex] y=g(u,v)=Cu+Dv[/tex]
[tex] z=h(u,v)=Eu+Fv[/tex]

Applying Cramer's rule, from the frist two we get:

[tex] \begin{array}{cc}
x=Au+Bv\\
y=Cu+Dv
\end{array} \right\} \rightarrow}
[/tex]

[tex] u=\frac{ det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
x & B\\
y & D
\end{array}
\right)}{det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
A & B\\
C & D
\end{array}
\right)} = \frac{xD-yB}{AD-CB}; (1)[/tex]

[tex] v=\frac{ det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
A & x\\
C & y
\end{array}
\right)}{det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
A & B\\
C & D
\end{array}
\right)} = \frac{yA-xC}{AD-CB}; (2)[/tex]

and from the second two:

[tex] \begin{array}{cc}
y=Cu+Dv\\
z=Eu+Fv
\end{array} \right\} \rightarrow}
[/tex]

[tex] u=\frac{ det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
y & D\\
z & F
\end{array}
\right)}{det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
C & D\\
E & F
\end{array}
\right)} = \frac{yF-zD}{CF-ED}; (3)[/tex]

[tex] v=\frac{ det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
C & y\\
E & z
\end{array}
\right)}{det \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
C & D\\
E & F
\end{array}
\right)} = \frac{zC-yE}{CF-ED}; (4)[/tex]

From (1) and (3) we obtain, after simplifying, the equation of the plane:

[tex] (CF-ED)Dx-(FA-BE)Dy-(AD-CB)Dz=0[/tex]

and it's easy to see that from (2) and (4) we get the same equation of the plane.

But the same would happen if the equations were non-linear? And is there a way to prove it?

What is the purpose of eliminating variables in scientific research?

Eliminating variables is an important step in scientific research because it allows for a clearer understanding of cause and effect relationships. By controlling and eliminating variables, scientists can more confidently determine the impacts of specific factors on their experiments and draw more accurate conclusions.

What is the difference between independent and dependent variables?

Independent variables are the factors that are manipulated or controlled by the researcher in an experiment, while dependent variables are the outcomes or results that are affected by the independent variables. The goal of eliminating variables is to isolate the impact of the independent variable on the dependent variable.

How do scientists go about eliminating variables in their experiments?

Scientists use various methods to eliminate variables in their experiments, such as randomization, control groups, and blinding. Randomization involves assigning participants to different groups randomly to reduce bias. Control groups are used as a comparison to the experimental group, and blinding involves keeping certain information hidden from participants to prevent them from influencing the results.

What are some common challenges in eliminating variables in scientific research?

One common challenge is the presence of confounding variables, which are factors that can affect the results of an experiment and are not controlled by the researcher. Another challenge is ensuring that the sample size is large enough to account for individual differences and increase the generalizability of the results.

What are the potential consequences of not eliminating variables in scientific research?

If variables are not properly eliminated, the results of an experiment may be misleading or inaccurate. This can lead to false conclusions and can harm the credibility of the research. It is essential for scientists to carefully control and eliminate variables to ensure the validity and reliability of their findings.