Eliot Spitzer Linked to Prostitution Ring

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, Eliot Spitzer is resigning from his position as New York Governor due to links to a prostitution ring.
When New York's Lt. Gov David Paterson was asked if he had ever consorted with prostitutes, he responded, "only the lobbyists". :rofl:

I think I'm really going to like this guy. My first impression is that he is honorable and witty.

A blind governer! Most excellent!

As for prostitution: It is the choice of each State, correct? There is nothing special about Nevada is there? But I do think prostitution should be legal. The worst aspects of the practice [women abused and exploited by thug pimps and clients] are largely consequences of the fact that it is illegal. And even if we look at this as a moral issue, one has to consider the morality of the consequences of a law as well as the motivation for the law.

But more than that, I don't think this is any business of the State's. Make the government stay out of the bedroom and do it's job for a change.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fourier jr said:
Isn't there any real news?
A governor's resignation doesn't happen every day. This is real news.

russ_watters said:
A governor's resignation doesn't happen every day. This is real news.

What about the high-ranking general who was forced to resign over his criticism of the Bush government's plan to take over Iran? Or that 12 more American soldiers got killed in Iraq in 3 days? Or that Ben Bernanke is in Europe to beg for $200 billion to mitigate the collapse of the American banking system? Don't you care? No wonder American soldiers are so demoralized, Americans care more about a politician who had sex!

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
What about the high-ranking general who was forced to resign over his criticism of the Bush government's plan to take over Iran? Or that 12 more American soldiers got killed in Iraq in 3 days? Or that Ben Bernanke is in Europe to beg for $200 billion to mitigate the collapse of the American banking system? Don't you care? No wonder American soldiers are so demoralized, Americans care more about a politician who had sex!
It's not that the OP cares more about Spitzer than he does about these other topics. It's that he cares more about Spitzer than you do about these other topics. That's why he started the thread. But you can't tell what a person is most interested in by the threads they post in. For myself, I'm more concerned about Freedom Fries going back to being French Fries than I am about Spitzer, but even so I didn't post in that thread.

Last edited:
yes, why would anyone care about being scammed by the government & the media, when there are politicians having sex?

fourier jr said:

People always talk about current events, some are boring, some are amusing, some are repulsive, and a few other definitions, but always the talk.
The higher the profile the more the talk, and the longer the topic is in the media forefront, it will continue to be a much discussed item.
I won't give details of what i think i know, or how, but look back to actions of a president, and his "not a sexual act". This led to much male/female conversion for around a year, worldwide attention. this led to a bumper year of "non sexual action" of this sort, for males all around the world.
Sorry but this is just how people are, always has been and always will be. Just my opinion FWIW

fourier jr said:
yes, why would anyone care about being scammed by the government & the media, when there are politicians having sex?

The sex certainly adds a lurid light to it but I think the real thing is that he was patronizing prostitutes at the same time he was prosecuting prostitution rings as the AG. It'd be one thing if he'd taken some sort of principled stance and publicly refused to prosecute prostitution or adultery because he thought it wasn't a crime but he didn't.

Like the Daily Show was saying: Eliot Spitzer promised to clean up government - and he fulfilled that promise by resigning himself!

it all sounds like a set up. he started to take money away from people with power. now they don't have to worry about him any more now do they :)

$100,000 call girl anyone?

fourier jr said:

Gosh! Where to start? How about this... Turbo already has a thread on the general retiring (he wasn't forced to resign). What is there to say that hasn't been said about terrorists killing Americans in Iraq? Why don't you start your Bernanke thread? (don't you care?) And finally, I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about regarding the morale of the American soldiers.

I'm the OP and I approved this message.

Anyone taking odds on whether NASA will rename the Spitzer Space Telescope? How about the Lyman Spitzer Space Telescope? Or the Spitzer (but not that one) Space Telescope?

chemisttree said:
Anyone taking odds on whether NASA will rename the Spitzer Space Telescope? How about the Lyman Spitzer Space Telescope? Or the Spitzer (but not that one) Space Telescope?
I had the same thoughts. :rofl:

edward said:
I would imagine that there are a lot more than 9 clients.

One thing the puzzles me is that the investigation was started over supposedly questionable money transfers. All of the stories I have read indicate the clients used American Express.

Is a $4,300 charge on an American Express card now considered questionable? This looks to me like the investigation was tailor made to try to catch Spitzer and ended up with some unintended consequences.

Those consequences being that what must be a large number of wealthy people were also found to be involved. It will be interesting to see how the investigators get around releasing all of the names.

Client #6 is most likely Gerald Grosvenor, Duke of Westminster, and the third richest man in the UK.

Not as damaging to him since it's his second sex scandal involving prostitues in 13 months.

russ_watters said:
I doubt there is much of a market for $4,500 hookers, but I guess I could be wrong.

BobG said:
Evidently, Spitzer was going with the economy prostitutes. According to the complaint, the Elite prostitutes got $5500 per hour.

The excerpts from the wire taps make a rather bizarre read, even if long. The moms cutting out of appointments early because they have to pick their kids up from school, the one whose behavior scares the 'coordinators' into thinking she's on drugs, etc.

And Emperors Club is a relatively low-class operation. If Spitzer went with the more high-class operations, he probably wouldn't have been caught - http://www.slate.com/id/2186491/nav/tap3/

RonL said:
Guess i have led too sheltered a life, and worked hard for most of my money, how can anyone who has worked for their money sleep well, paying those prices to get their gun smoked?

I might be stupid in a lot of ways, "BUT WOW":yuck::confused::bugeye::eek::uhh::mad:

Astronuc said:
Um - no, you're just poor like the rest of us. Spitzer is a millionaire and to many millionaires, a few $K is pocket change. They can spends thousands on one suit, or watch, or buy a car for $200K+ or fly a corporate jet if not flying first class.

Look at the excesses of Dennis Kozlowski (an extreme case), who became notorious for his perceived extravagant lifestyle supported by the booming stock market of the late 1990s and early 2000s; allegedly, he had Tyco pay for his $30 million New York City apartment which included $6,000 shower curtains. Kozlowski had Tyco paid $1 million (half the bill) for the 40th birthday party of his wife.

Or look at Ken Lay (Enron), or Bernie Ebbers (Worldcom), and the millions they spent, or even Don Rumsfeld, who has 5 homes.

Heather Mills settlement comes to over $30,000 per day that she spent as Paul McCartney's wife. That's not to compare Mills to a prostitute, but to compare the difference in incomes. In fact, a $48 million settlement is incredibly small compared to McCartney's worth. It would be equivalent of the typical person (median net worth $93,000 in 2004) giving their spouse $3000 as part of the divorce settlement. Considering Paul McCartney makes $40 million a year, $30,000 per day would be the equivalent of the typical person (median income of $24,500 per year in 2006) paying about $20 a day.

Supposedly, the typical customer of the Emperor's Club makes about $3.63 million a year (Why would the Duke of Westminster frequent such a low class establishment?). They could pay about $3,000 per day when compared to McCartney dollars. With an estimated income of about $1.36 million a year (2005 income including $145,000 state salary plus about $1.2 million from real estate, investments, and income), Spitzer was a little out of his class. Of course, being from a very well-to-do family, Spitzer's $1.36million a year isn't the same $1.36 million per year the average person might hope to make. Spitzer was living rent free in an apartment that should rent for around $190,000 to $240,000 per year before having to move to the slums (http://www.ny.gov/exmansion/index.html ) upon being elected governor of New York.

Oh, the lives of the rich and famous. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
At last, a happy ending!

The New York Governor gave the following speech, without notes and from memory. I didn't realize until I listened to it just how much more effective it is to deliver such a speech without reading it from a teleprompter or from a stack of cards. If he delivers on this, he is a shoe-in for a higher office! Hmmm, "President Paterson" does have a nice ring to it...

Ladies and gentleman, fellow New Yorkers. In so many ways, we woke this morning to a not so ordinary day. But in one way, we woke this morning to a New York dawn that is like every other one that came before it. For today, like we always do, in spite of the obstacles, regardless of the circumstances, we move forward.

Of course, I never expected to have the honor of serving as Governor of New York State. But our constitution demands it. This transition today is an historic message to the world that we live among the same values that we profess, and that we are a government of laws and not individuals. Today we can be proud of our democracy.

Now look folks, this has been a very difficult week. But there have been turbulent weeks in New York’s past, and there will be anxious weeks in our near future. But we move forward.

Today is Monday. There is work to be done. There was an oath to be taken. There’s trust that needs to be restored. There are issues that need to be addressed. And all of us, as we set to us, must be aware of one truth that rise above all else.

It’s that New York families are more challenges today than they were yesterday. And if we are going to build a viable future for New York, we are going to have to help single mothers who have two jobs. We are going to have to give children better schools and families who don’t have health care some redress.

I learned about government right here in this Legislature. I studied the same issues and had the same experiences, hopes, and frustrations as so many other New Yorkers. I am chagrined at the high cost of education for my family. And the prohibitive price of health care.

I have talked to New Yorkers for decades about the crumbling upstate economy, the crush of property taxes and the lack of affordable housing. These are issues that we will continue to focus and address, but we can do more.

I have a vision for New York. It’s a New York where achievement is developed only from hard work, where doors are always open and where anyone can achieve no matter where they live.

They call what we do public service for a reason: because it’s not politics. It’s not parties. It’s not power that counts at the end of the day. Those interests can vanish in a moment. It is the service that endures. It is service that is important. It is the service that is our mark. It is our measure. It is our record of performance.

My colleagues, all of you in the Legislature, those who serve in the judiciary, State employees who work in our great agencies, isn’t that what called us to work in government in the first place?

Then let us seize that poignant moment. Let us right here and now, let us grab the unusual opportunities that circumstance has handed us today, and put personal politics, party advantage and power struggles aside in favor of service, in the interests of the people.

With the nation’s eyes upon him in 1964, Robert F. Kennedy once said, “No matter how talented an individual may be, no matter how much energy he might possess, regardless of how much integrity and honest he or she may have, if that person is alone, they can accomplish very little.”

And so what we are going to do from now on is what we always should have done. We’re going to work together.

With conviction in our brains and compassion in our hearts and love for New York on our sleeves, we will dedicate ourselves to principle but always maintain the ability to listen.

And now, we look forward in this great State, we look forward with our eyes very much on the greatness of New York and we move forward, ever forward, together.

To many of you, I am an unknown quantity. But that doesn’t matter anymore. What matters is what we are able to accomplish today, tomorrow and all the days ahead. It’s Monday and there’s work to be done.

There’s a budget that needs to be passed, and we will pass it. We need a plan to put New Yorkers back to work and we will provide it.

We have to battle the obstacle of doubt and uncertainty and we shall overcome it.

Now, all of you in this room, I ask you to pause and focus on the problems or our great nation. Our economy appears to be headed toward crisis. In just the last 12 hours, one of the major investment houses with a storied career was sold at 10 percent of the price that it would have been worth on Friday.

The Federal Reserve decreased interest rates by a quarter of a percentage in a desperate attempt to half a further meltdown. We are looking at the economy that is reeling, and I must say to all of you in government and all of you in business that you must meet with me in the next couple of weeks and adjust our budget accordingly.

This may serve as bad news. This may be actions that we are often unaccustomed to taking, but our sworn duty is to uphold the interest of the people who sent us here and to make this state whole again.

I believe that we can weather the storm.

I have worked most of my life for New Yorkers and fought for New Yorkers. I believe that if we stand together, that our collective talent will bring us to a better period.

We don’t know the path yet. But that’s because we haven’t blazed the trail. And I think you all know that I know a little bit about finding one’s way through the dark.

Let me tell you a little about myself.

I was born in the borough of Brooklyn. I was educated on Long Island. Harlem is my home. This is where I learned love for family and appreciation for community.

I have confronted the prejudice of race and challenged the issues of my own disability. I have served in government for over two decades. I stand willing and able to lead this state to a brighter future and a better tomorrow.

Let me reintroduce myself. I am David Paterson and I am the Governor of New York State.

Thank you.

I want to thank all of you. All of you New Yorkers and our visitors, for coming here today and by your presence, giving New York a strength that we need at this time of transition.

But we as New Yorkers can achieve. We are Asian, white, Hispanic and black. We are upper-middle class, and social service customers.

We are homeowners, landlords, tenants, cooperators and even the homeless.

We send our children to public and private schools. And yet, New Yorkers, in spite of the perceived problems inherent in our difference, we have an immense opportunity, if we start to look at who we are, what we are, and what we can be.

God bless you all for coming today, and God bless the great State of New York.

Thank you very much.

No, thank YOU Mr. Governor!

A new twist

A Republican political consultant said on Sunday that his lawyers wrote a letter to the F.B.I. in November stating that Gov. Eliot Spitzer had patronized high-priced prostitutes during trips to Florida.

Is this the pot calling the kettle black? or is it just, it takes one to know one.:rolleyes:

Mr. Stone said he told his lawyers to send the letter in November accusing Mr. Spitzer of using prostitutes after meeting a woman at an adult club in Florida who told him that she had knowledge of Mr. Spitzer’s assignation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/24/nyregion/24spitzer.html?ref=nyregion

Wow, what a dirty trick... reporting a felony to the appropriate authorities.

chemisttree said:
Wow, what a dirty trick... reporting a felony to the appropriate authorities.
That would be the local police, not the FBI.

jimmysnyder said:

You do realize that 'Florida' is not 'New York', don't you?

jimmysnyder said:

Miami Vice :biggrin:

chemisttree said:
The local police would be appropriate unless Spitzer was transporting across state lines, or if Spitzer was transferring large amounts of cash in violation of federal law. If they were local hookers, then local authorities would have jurisdiction.

chemisttree said:
Crossing state lines to engage the services of a hooker is not a federal crime.

jimmysnyder said:

Fleeing across state lines after the crime would be, though, wouldn't it? :uhh:

(wow, we're just begging for calls, now)

jimmysnyder said:

Wrong. Google "Mann Act" and then review the details of the Spitzer case.

BobG said:
Fleeing across state lines after the crime would be, though, wouldn't it?
I'm not sure about this one. I don't think it's a federal crime to cross state lines after having commited some other crime. Not even a federal crime. But I could be wrong.

chemisttree said:
Wrong.
No, right. The Mann Act makes it a federal offense to transport the hooker across state lines. It is not a federal offense to cross a state line yourself. According to edward's post, it isn't known that Spitzer had done so:

edward's post said:
A Republican political consultant said on Sunday that his lawyers wrote a letter to the F.B.I. in November stating that Gov. Eliot Spitzer had patronized high-priced prostitutes during trips to Florida.

Spitzer allegedly did violate the Mann Act, but that was not the content of the Republican's call to the FBI.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
No, right. The Mann Act makes it a federal offense to transport the hooker across state lines. It is not a federal offense to cross a state line yourself. According to edward's post, it isn't known that Spitzer had done so:

Spitzer allegedly did violate the Mann Act, but that was not the content of the Republican's call to the FBI.

Yes, you are right. He probably didn't transport the 'goods' across state lines in Fl. I guess that makes it a little less disgusting. About Mr. Stone... How does he know so much about hookers?

chemisttree said:
I guess that makes it a little less disgusting.
I doubt it, but it does mean that Stone did not notify the proper authorities.