1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elipse, tangents, and limits.

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data, is best expressed in the photograph, as this is a fairly detailed problem:
    [PLAIN]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3972/pleasehelp.jpg [Broken]
    2. all equations included in the image
    3. the attempt at the solution is in the image as well

When I take the limit of that last equation, I get a nonsensical answer--infinity. I am well sure that its not infinity. If anything, it must be negative infinity.

What am I doing wrong? Is it my simplification? Is there a strategic error?

Please help!!

Found the same question here with some searching:
    http://expresshelpline.com/support-question-6498190.html

the answer is not given, but that's a different approach, the person used the y=mx+b way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I didn't check your work, but there seems to be something wrong with your last line:
    h(c) = (a2 - c2)/c + c
    This simplifies to
    h(c) = (a2 - c2 + c2)/c = a2/c.

From your drawing, c is positive, and a2 is positive, so h(c) should be positive, but the point on the y axis is clearly negative. I suspect that you were not as careful as you need to be with the choice of pos/neg square roots in your preceding work.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Hah,
    It's actually (b^2-a^2)/b for the answer... dont know why, but the y-mx+b yielded the correct answer... less room for mistakes there!

thanks a lot though Mark44

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook