ELISA Tests and Contagion: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter Echo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the student is worried about possibly catching a cold from the ELISA test they did in school. There is no worry, and the ELISA test is safe.
Echo
I had to do an ELISA test in school, for EBV. I forgot to put gloves on :S

So now, about 5 days later, I'm starting to feel kinda ill, like flu or strep.. Throat hurts a bit, I'm pretty tired etc.
Could the ELISA test in any way be contagious? I don't quite understand if it could :(

Biology news on Phys.org
No, otherwise it would be very irresponsible to use it in a school setting. What was the sample that was used for the test?

Remember to always wear gloves and wash your hands after doing experiments.

I think it was a test kit the teacher got, which included antigen, antibody, serum and substrate.. Yeah I didn't think it would be very responsible either :P But I had to know.

Echo said:
I think it was a test kit the teacher got, which included antigen, antibody, serum and substrate.. Yeah I didn't think it would be very responsible either :P But I had to know.

Ok, so the antigen of the kit is the 'sample'. This will be purified pieces of EBV proteins, which should not be contagious. There is nothing for you to worry about. The case would have been different if you had been working with actual infected body fluids, which you haven't.

Always work very carefully. I've heard of a case where a student got blood in her mouth from a patient, because she used a mouth pipet instead of an automatic one. You really do not want to make these kinds of mistakes.

Okay, thanks a lot :)

The whole point of using an ELISA is they are MUCH safer than radioimmunoassays that they have replaced. Nothing there but sandwiches of antibodies and some color tags on them.

More likely, you're just catching whatever bug your fellow students are spreading around the old-fashioned way of coughing and sneezing. :wink:

1. What is an ELISA test?

An ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test is a laboratory method used to detect and measure the presence of antibodies or antigens in a sample of blood or other bodily fluid. It is commonly used to diagnose infectious diseases, allergies, and autoimmune disorders.

2. Is an ELISA test contagious?

No, an ELISA test itself is not contagious. It is a diagnostic tool used by healthcare professionals to test for infectious diseases, but it does not transmit any disease or infection.

3. How is an ELISA test performed?

During an ELISA test, a small amount of a patient's blood or other bodily fluid is mixed with a specific antigen or antibody that is known to cause an immune response. If the patient has the corresponding antibodies or antigens in their sample, they will bind to the antigen or antibody in the test and produce a measurable reaction.

4. Is an ELISA test reliable?

Yes, an ELISA test is generally considered to be a reliable and accurate method of testing for antibodies or antigens in a sample. However, like any diagnostic test, there is always a chance of false positives or false negatives, so it is important to consult with a healthcare professional for an accurate interpretation of the results.

5. How long does it take to get ELISA test results?

The time it takes to get ELISA test results can vary depending on the specific test being performed, the laboratory's workload, and the type of sample being tested. In general, results can be available within a few hours to a few days.