1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipse and a sine curve

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    an ellipse whose semi axes have lengths a and b rolls without slipping on the curve y =c sin (x/a), find the relationship between a, b, and c. Assume that the ellipse completes one revolution per period of the sine curve.

The answer is b^2 = a^2 + c^2 and you find it by requiring that the arclengths be the same for one period.

Why is it wrong to just require that a = c and b = pi a /2 ? That would seem natural to me because then one half of the ellipse would fit perfectly into one "hump" of the sine curve?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2
    do people understand the problem?
  4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    should I draw a picture?
  5. Oct 23, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An ellipse does not fit perfectly into a sine curve. I don't know what you are talking about.
  6. Oct 23, 2007 #5
    My approach was to make the ellipse have minor axis equal to half the period of the sine curve and a semi-major axis equal to the amplitude of sine curve. All I want to know is why that approach produces ellipses that are different from the ones in the answer.
  7. Oct 23, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because they don't fit. The profile of an ellipse only resembles a sine curve. It's not an exact match.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?