What mistakes were made in solving for the equation of the ellipse?

• Thread starter louie3006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation is about finding the standard form of the equation of an ellipse given its vertices and a point on the ellipse. The formula for the standard form of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)/ b^2 = 1. The attempt at a solution involved substituting the given values into the formula and solving for b. However, there were mistakes in the algebraic steps and the correct form should be b^2/16 + 4 = b^2. To find b, the constants should be moved to one side and then cross multiplied.
louie3006

Homework Statement

an ellipse has the vertices (+&-4, 0)and the point (1,2) lies on the ellipse. find the standard form of the equation of the ellipse .

Homework Equations

(x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)/ b^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

(x-0)^2/(4)^2 + (y-0)/b^2 = 1
(1-0)^2/16 + (2-0)^2/b^2 = 1
16b^2 ( 1/16+4/b^2=1)
**b^2 +64/16 = 16b^2
** b^2/16 + 4 = b^2
**b=b/4 + 2
note: *** is where i think i made my mistakes.
so will anyone tell me, what i did wrong and help me with how to finish this problem, thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute the vertex first, then you'll find what a^2 works out to be.
After that, then sub in the point (1,2)

louie3006 said:
16b^2 ( 1/16+4/b^2=1)

Here, your brackets are in the wrong place and if you expand you'll see that it doesn't match the equation above it, which means your factoring was off.

[tex]\frac{1}{16} + \frac{4}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

To isolate for b, move all the constants to one side and then cross multiply.

1. What is the equation for an ellipse?

The equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How do you graph an ellipse using its equation?

To graph an ellipse, first plot the center point (h,k). Then, use the values of a and b to determine the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes. From the center point, count a units horizontally to plot the end points of the semi-major axis, and b units vertically to plot the end points of the semi-minor axis. Finally, sketch in the ellipse connecting these end points.

3. Can the equation of an ellipse be written in standard form?

Yes, the standard form of the equation for an ellipse is (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. This form is useful for quickly identifying the center and axes of the ellipse.

4. How do you find the foci of an ellipse?

The foci of an ellipse can be found using the formula c^2 = a^2 - b^2, where c is the distance from the center of the ellipse to each focus. The foci are located on the major axis, with one focus on each side of the center point (h,k) and a distance of c units away from the center.

5. What is the relationship between an ellipse and its eccentricity?

The eccentricity of an ellipse is a measure of its shape, with a value between 0 and 1. An ellipse with an eccentricity of 0 is a circle, while an eccentricity of 1 indicates a very elongated ellipse. The eccentricity can be calculated using the formula c/a, where c is the distance from the center to each focus and a is the length of the semi-major axis. The closer the eccentricity is to 1, the more elongated the ellipse will be.