1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipse question

1. Sep 10, 2004 #1
    Ack, such a simple question, but I haven't worked with conic sections in years. Can anyone suggest an elegant way to show that

[tex]x=f*Sin(wt+\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)[/tex]

is an ellipse? I've tried using a rotation matrix on standard parametric ellipse equations and then solving for the angle of rotation and the axes sizes in terms of the variables but it seems messy. Then I tried getting it to fit the general equation but I'm not sure how that would work. However, a simpler method is eluding me. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2004 #2

krab

Science Advisor

Some hints: This is not an upright ellipse like [itex]x^2/a^2+z^2/b^2=1[/itex], unless [itex]\phi-\theta=\pi/2[/itex]. But you can get it into that form by applying a transformation like z=y+kx, where k is a constant. By expanding the sines, find k in terms f, g, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] (actually will depend only on [itex]\phi-\theta[/itex] and f/g), and you are there.

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    Can you clarify what you mean by a transformation of the form z=y+kx? what is y?

5. Sep 11, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't mind a little nonrigorous math you can try the following.

Rewriting your equations slightly:

[tex]x = A cos(\omega t + \alpha)[/tex]
    [tex]y = B cos(\omega t + \beta)[/tex]

The second equation gives
    [tex]\omega t = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac {y}{B}\right) - \beta [/tex]

Substitute into the first equation:
    [tex]x = A \cos( \cos ^{-1} \frac {y}{B} + \alpha - \beta)[/tex]

Use the addition formulas for cosine and the basic identities for the inverse trig function and the equation can be cast into the familiar elliptical form.

6. Sep 11, 2004 #5
    By familiar elliptical form, do you mean general form? I can't seem to get rid of that square root term from the inverse trig identity...

7. Sep 11, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rearrange terms to get the radical on one side of the equation then square both sides. The "general form" is [itex]ax^2+bxy+cy^2+d=0[/itex] and, depending on the signs and values of the various coefficients, will produce an ellipse, hyperbola or parabola.

8. Sep 11, 2004 #7
    I got it, but thanks for your replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?