1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipsoidal coordinates

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    When looking at the hydrogen molecular ion H+, you produce solutions in elliptical coordinates, which i found fine, until i came across a problem wheni was testing myself by calculating a 1pz overlap integral: i get a cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] in the integral. Now i have had no problem solving this for 1s, this didnt involved only functions of r, the distance from electron to each nucleus. I am at a loss as how to substitute this away. Basically the equation that needs solving looks like this

\int_{0}^{2\pi} d\phi \int_{1}^{\infty} d\mu \int_{-1}^{1} d\nu k (\mu^2 - \nu^2)^2 cos^2\theta exp(-\mu R/2a)

This is for the most part not that hard an integral to solve, just long, messy, with many places to lose a sign. All i can't figure is our pesky friend the cosine. Any suggestions?

steve =]
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?