1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipsometry problem help

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    Here is my situation:
    According to ellipsometry theory the complex reflectance ratio can be expressed as
    [PLAIN]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2657/68578079.png [Broken]
    where tan([tex]\Psi[/tex]) is the amplitude ratio upon reflection and [tex]\Delta[/tex] is a phase shift.
    On the other hand, as far as I now, phase shift upon reflection is [tex]\pi[/tex] or 0, depending on materials.
    the question: is the [tex]\Psi[/tex] only variable that is being changed in wide range while [tex]\Delta[/tex] is either [tex]\pi[/tex] or 0 in all cases.

Sorry for not following subforum format, I just could not fit my question in it.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Ellipsometry

Phase shifts of pi and 0 occur at normal incidence for s or p polarized light. Ellipsometry uses oblique angles of reflections and compares the phase shifts after reflection of the two states of polarized light. See the below link for a brief tutorial of ellipsometry.

4. May 15, 2010 #3
    Re: Ellipsometry

So it turnes out that s and p polarized lights are phase shifted differently upon reflection.
    but why? :uhh:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook