Elliptic Area Using Integral

In summary, the given equations represent an ellipse with a center at (h,g), a radius along the x-axis of sqrt(2), and a radius along the y-axis of 1. However, the equation cannot be directly put into standard form and may require a rotation of the coordinate system. It can still be integrated using polar coordinates or by solving for x as a function of y.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

(x+y)^2 + (y-2)^2 =4

2. Homework Equations
y^2 = (2-x)y - (x^2)/2

Equation of an ellipse:
##\left( \dfrac {x-h} {a}\right) ^{2}+\left( \dfrac {y-g} {b}\right) ^{2}=1##
From this, we know that (h,g) is the center of the ellipse.
and the radius along the x and y-axis is a and b.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I assume that y and x in parametric form is analogous than for a circle, but in this case the radius is not equal everywhere and the center is not the origin.
##y=h+b\sin \theta##
##x=g+a\cos \theta##

dx = -a sin(theta) d(theta)

Area = INT(pi/2 to 0)[-b sin(theta) * a sin(theta) * d(theta)]
= INT(0 to pi/2)[absin^2(theta) * d(theta)]
= INT(0 to pi/2)[(ab/2)(1-cos(2theta) * d(theta)]
= (ab/2)[(theta) - (1/2)sin(2theta)] from 0 to pi/2
= (ab/2)[pi/2 - 0]
= pi*ab/4

The total area of the ellipse will be 4 times this area, so:

Area of ellipse = pi*ab
However, I do not know how to acquire a and b from
the expanded equation of the ellipse:
y^2 = (2-x)y - (x^2)/2

(x^2)/2 +y^2= (2-x)y
Can I say that the radius along the x-axis is sqrt(2) and the radius along the y-axis is 1?
In other words a=sqrt(2) and b=1. Then,
(2-x)y=1
2y-xy=1, but I don't know how to interpret this.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you graph the original equation, you will find the major and minor axes of the ellipse are rotated with respect to the x-y coordinate axes. Hint: expand the original equation and collect terms. There is a non-zero xy term in the expansion.

SteamKing said:
I think if you graph the original equation, you will find the major and minor axes of the ellipse are rotated with respect to the x-y coordinate axes. Hint: expand the original equation and collect terms. There is a non-zero xy term in the expansion.
I know that the axis are rotate with respect of the x-y coordinates. I thought that the equation was still valid in these cases.

Yes. I see the xy term and I showed it in the first post. I am trying to compare it with 1, since it fits the equation. However, this equation would be wrong. I realize now.
I have trouble setting
(x+y)^2 + (y-2)^2 =4 in the form

knowLittle said:
I know that the axis are rotate with respect of the x-y coordinates. I thought that the equation was still valid in these cases.

Yes. I see the xy term and I showed it in the first post. I am trying to compare it with 1, since it fits the equation. However, this equation would be wrong. I realize now.
I have trouble setting
(x+y)^2 + (y-2)^2 =4 in the form

You cannot put the equation for this ellipse directly into standard form. To do that, you would need to rotate the coordinate system , or rotate the ellipse.

If you need to find the area of the ellipse via integration (That's not stated explicitly in the body of the Original Post.), that can be achieved without the rotation.

You could do the integration in polar coordinates. The ellipse passes through the origin and is tangent to the x-axis. The result of expressing r as a function of θ is rather intimidating from the standpoint of taking the resulting integral.

You can solve the equation of the ellipse for x or for y and integrate. Since x only appears once in the equation, it makes sense to solve for x as a function of y. I haven't tried my hand at the resulting integral so I don't know how well this approach will work out.

1. What is the formula for calculating the elliptic area using an integral?

The formula for calculating the elliptic area using an integral is A = πab, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, respectively.

2. How is the integral used to calculate the elliptic area?

The integral is used to find the area under the curve of the ellipse, which represents the elliptic area. This is achieved by integrating the equation for the ellipse, which is x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1.

3. Can the integral method be used for any ellipse?

Yes, the integral method can be used for any ellipse, regardless of its size, orientation, or position in the coordinate plane.

4. Are there any other methods for calculating the elliptic area?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the elliptic area, such as using the formula A = πab or using the Green's theorem. However, the integral method is the most commonly used and most accurate method.

5. Can the integral method be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the integral method can be applied to other shapes, as long as the shape can be represented by an equation that can be integrated. This method is commonly used for finding the areas of irregular shapes and curves.