1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elliptic Integral

1. Feb 25, 2011 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sub problem from a much larger HW problem:

From previous steps we arrive at a complete elliptic integral of the second kind:

[tex]E(k)=\int_0^{\pi/2} dx \sqrt{1+k^2\sin^2x}[/tex]

In the next part of the problem, I need to expand this integral and approximate it by truncating at the first order term. (k is large)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]E(k) = \frac{\pi}{2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[\frac{(2n)!}{2^{2 n} (n!)^2}\right]^2 \frac{k^{2n}}{1-2 n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe I should use the expansion quoted above.

Here is my question. Based of the previous steps I know that k^2 has to be large. Also, the sign of k^2 is opposite of what is is in the standard form of E(k).

So, 1. Does this expansion truncated at first order approximate the integral well if k^2 is large?

I think not. Is there another expansion, one for large k^2, that I can potentially use?

2. Can I just change the sign in the odd terms of the expansion to account for the sign change of k?

I think this should work.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expansion above is not valid for large [tex]k[/tex]. Simply rewrite

[tex]
    E(k)=\int_0^{\pi/2} dx \sqrt{1+k^2\sin^2x} = \pm \int_0^{\pi/2} dx k \sin x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{k^2\sin^2x}}
    [/tex]

and expand this in [tex]1/k[/tex] yourself. Note that taking the square root introduces a sign ambiguity that should be chosen to give the correct sign to [tex]E(k)[/tex].

4. Feb 25, 2011 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm. This makes sense, however, it is only a good approximation when sin(x) is larger than 1/m.

However, the contributions to the integral in [0,1/m] are small, so can I fix the approximation by changing the lower bound on the integral to 1/m?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  5. Feb 25, 2011 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd write the expansion as a power series, do the integrals and then check convergence.

6. Mar 1, 2011 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah you were right. The higher order terms don't necessarily converge with a lower bound of 1/m.

Checked with my prof. Looks like if you use 1/m as the lower bound and expand to first order, you get the correct result up to a multiplicative constant on the resulting ln(m) term.

I think can finish the rest of the problem now. Thanks fzero!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?