1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elliptic integrals

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I have the following elliptic integral:

[tex]\phi_{1}[/tex]
    [tex]\int \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{1-\frac{sin^{2}\theta}{cos^{2}\phi_{1}}}}[/tex] .... (1)
    [tex]\phi[/tex]

The parameter m = ([tex]\frac{1}{cos^{2}\phi}[/tex]) is greater than one.

So, i know that the first incomplete elliptic integral F([tex]\phi[/tex], m>1) = m[tex]^{-2}[/tex] F([tex]\beta[/tex],m[tex]^{-1}[/tex]) with sin[tex]\beta[/tex] = m[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]sin([tex]\phi[/tex])

(Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I. A. (Eds.). "Elliptic Integrals." Ch. 17 in Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, 9th printing. New York: Dover, pp. 587-607, 1972.)

How can I solve the above equation (1) for [tex]\phi[/tex]?

One method is to apply the Jacobian elliptic function sn[F([tex]\phi[/tex],m)|m] = sin([tex]\phi[/tex]).

This though, applies to regular functions where m<1. Since here m>1, how do I solve for [tex]\phi[/tex]?

Is there another method that I could use?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted