1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elliptic line integral

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let C be the ellipse with center (0,0), major axis of length 2a, and minor axis of length 2b. Evaluate [tex]\oint_C xdy - ydx[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    I solved this two ways. First I parameterized x and y as [tex]x=a \cos \theta[/tex] and similarly for y. I also applied Green's theorem, which yielded [tex]\oint_C xdy - ydx = 2 \int \int_D dA[/tex] where D is the area enclosed by C (ie an ellipse.) In both cases I got the answer [tex]2\pi a b[/tex].
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My only question is, the book I am using says the answer is [tex]\frac{\pi a b}{2}[/tex]. This is an ETS book and they don't usually have typos, especially when it's the answer key to a previously administered exam. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is pi*a*b/2. If a=b=r then it's a circle and the area is pi*r^2. So the contour is half that.

4. Sep 11, 2007 #3
    I apologize for being so dense, but I'm still confused. A couple different books I have print the result

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\oint_C -ydx + xdy = \iint_{R} dA = A[/tex]

If the area of the ellipse is [tex]A=\pi a b[/tex] then I would think that the value of the line integral is [tex]2A[/tex].

5. Sep 11, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, yes, I think you are right. Don't know what I was thinking...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?