Solving for the Speed of a Comet in an Elliptical Orbit

In summary: The starting distance is given as 2.7·10^11 m , which is only about 1.8 AU. This distance is much too close to the Sun for a cometary orbit.
ccsmarty

Homework Statement

Comets travel around the sun in elliptical orbits with large eccentricities. If a comet has speed 2.3×10^4 m/s when at a distance of 2.7×10^11 m from the center of the sun, what is its speed when at a distance of 4.3×10^10 m.

Homework Equations

I tried using v = ((G*M) / r) ^ 0.5, but I'm not sure if that will work with this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

* I tried using conservation of angular momentum (per a tutor's advice), but didn't get the right answer
* I tried using Kepler's 2nd Law (area sweep) because the area that is swept out is the same all around the circle, but again no luck
* I tried using conservation of energy
* I used the equation that I listed above and solved for the mass of the comet by plugging in the 1st velocity and radius. Then I used the mass I came up with, along with the 2nd radius and solved for the velocity (v = 5.8*10^4 m/s). I inputted this answer into my online homework site, and it said that I was close, but not right.

Can someone please help me figure out where I went wrong??
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ccsmarty said:
I tried using v = ((G*M) / r) ^ 0.5, but I'm not sure if that will work with this problem.

This is the circular velocity for an orbit of radius r, so this pretty definitely won't work for the elliptical orbit of a comet.

I tried using conservation of energy...

This is the only approach that will help you. How did you use it? What is the energy that is conserved as the comet travels on its orbit?

This is what I did with the energy methods:

cometproblem2.jpg

But this answer is wrong.

Last edited:
The calculation appears to be all right for the numbers given. The speed of the comet increases by a modest factor of about three for having gotten about six times closer to the Sun.

But I can't help wondering if the distances are given correctly. The comet is said to start at a distance of 2.7·10^11 m , which is only about 1.8 AU, with a speed of 23 km/sec. (The final distance of 4.3·10^10 m is about 0.29 AU, which is credible for a perihelion distance.) That initial speed seems suspiciously low for that distance on a cometary orbit. Might the starting distance be more like 18 AU?

ccsmarty said:
7.6*104m/s
But this answer is wrong.

The vis-viva equation yields the same answer (not surprising, since the vis-viva equation follows directly from conservation of energy.) What makes you think the answer is wrong?

1. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which an object, such as a planet or satellite, moves around another object in an oval or elliptical shape. This shape is formed due to the gravitational pull of the central object and the velocity of the orbiting object.

2. What causes an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is caused by the gravitational pull of the central object, which is usually a larger and more massive object, on the orbiting object. The strength of this gravitational pull and the velocity of the orbiting object determine the shape and size of the elliptical orbit.

3. How is an elliptical orbit different from a circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit differs from a circular orbit in terms of their shapes. A circular orbit has a constant distance from the central object, while an elliptical orbit has varying distances from the central object. Additionally, an elliptical orbit has a longer orbital period compared to a circular orbit.

4. What are the two foci in an elliptical orbit?

The two foci in an elliptical orbit are the two points that are located at the center of the ellipse. These points represent the two objects that are involved in the orbit, with one being the central object and the other being the orbiting object.

5. How is the eccentricity of an elliptical orbit calculated?

The eccentricity of an elliptical orbit can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two foci by the length of the major axis of the ellipse. This value ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing a circular orbit and 1 representing a parabolic orbit.