1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elliptical Orbit Question

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particular comet has an elliptical orbit. When closest to the Sun (perihelion) it is at a distance of 8.823 1010 m and moves with a speed of 54.6 km/s. The greatest distance between this comet and the Sun (aphelion) is 6.106 1012 m.
    (a) Is the speed of the comet greater than or less than 54.6 km/s when it is at aphelion?
    -this is less than
    (b) Calculate its speed at aphelion.

2. Relevant equations
    I tried using conservation of energy where Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf where K = to 1/2mv^2 based on the velocities of the comet at both locations. I set U = (-GMm/r) where G = the gravitational constant, M = the mass of the sun, m = the mass of the comet, and r = the distance from the sun (the given values in the problem). You can cancel out m as the mass of the comet is present in all terms and is not given in the problem. However, each time I solved this problem with the values given, I'm not getting the correct answer. Is there another approach?
    I tried the conservation of angular momentum as well, but that did not work.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

There is a similar problem on another thread. I'd suggest, though, that you show here the actual calculation you did -- it's awfully hard to troubleshoot your solution if we can't see it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?