Elliptical Orbit Homework: Momentum, Direction & d/dt

In summary, the statements about an elliptical orbit that are true are:-At any instant the momentum of the planet is tangent to the planet's trajectory.-The direction of the planet's momentum is changing at every instant.-At every instant, d/dt points from the planet to the star.
davamr

Homework Statement

Based on your observations of the behavior of your computer model of a planet orbiting a star, and on your reading in the textbook, which of the following statements about an elliptical orbit are true?

At any instant the momentum of the planet is tangent to the planet's trajectory.
The magnitude of the planet's momentum is constant.
The direction of the planet's momentum is changing at every instant.
The gravitational force on the planet due to the star always acts at a right angle to the planet's momentum.
At every instant, d/dt points from the planet to the star.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is :

-At any instant the momentum of the planet is tangent to the planet's trajectory.
-The direction of the planet's momentum is changing at every instant.
-At every instant, d/dt points from the planet to the star.

Although I do not understand why at every instant, d/dt from the planet to the star.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one can answer your question because "d/dt" is meaningless. The derivative with respect to t of what?

dP/dt

davamr said:
dP/dt

So, what does dP/dt yield? If I tell you that a body of mass M is undergoing a change in momentum of some given value, what does that tell you about what's going on?

Thanks guys, I actually figured it out. I watched a video on KhanAcademy, which explained exactly what I was not understanding.

If anyone else wants to check it out go to khanacademy's website- scroll down to Physics - then click "Centripetal Force and Acceleration Intuition".

1. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which an object, such as a planet or satellite, follows a path that is shaped like an ellipse. This means that the distance between the object and the body it is orbiting around varies throughout the orbit.

2. How is momentum related to an elliptical orbit?

Momentum is a measure of the amount of motion an object has. In an elliptical orbit, the momentum of an object changes as it moves closer or further away from the body it is orbiting. This change in momentum is due to the force of gravity acting on the object.

3. What is the direction of an object in an elliptical orbit?

The direction of an object in an elliptical orbit is constantly changing as it moves around the orbit. This is because the force of gravity is always acting on the object, causing it to accelerate and change direction.

4. What is the meaning of d/dt in the context of an elliptical orbit?

d/dt is a mathematical notation that represents the derivative of a variable with respect to time. In the context of an elliptical orbit, d/dt is used to calculate the rate of change of an object's position, momentum, and direction as it moves along the orbit.

5. How is calculus used in studying elliptical orbits?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and is essential in studying elliptical orbits. The equations used to describe and analyze elliptical orbits involve derivatives and integrals, which are concepts from calculus. Calculus is also used to calculate important parameters such as velocity, acceleration, and force in an elliptical orbit.