ELO chess ranking system applied incorrectly in video games

In the game where I was teamed up with my clan mates rather than randomly, my elo was in the 1400-1500's. When the "season" was over, the team would be randomly created. My elo suddenly went up to high 1700's, my skills however remained the same. I'm not the only one to whom this happened, many people criticized the elo ranking system for that particular game due to this and totally unbalanced games where one could guess the outcome of the game from start even regardless of what the elo had to say. The same would apply even when the teams would be randomly balanced. In that particular game economy (think of a starcraft-like one's) is shared. If you have a noob in your team and he's wasting all the economy on useless stuff, even the best player can't do much to win the game.

I disagree with this. I would say your elo deserved to be in the 1400s-1500s because your team was presumably not as good as the teams you were randomly matched with.

Starcraft does this correctly IMO because you have a ranking for every team you play with, as well as a "Random Team" ranking. Sure, if you play by yourself you'll get crappy players but your ranking is accurate on average.

Halo Reach broke off from this type of ranking system from the previous games in the series, and it was part of the reason that I stopped playing. They had some sort of voodoo to figure out how well you as an individual did in a team game. Winning was no longer the objective in team games, because it was no guarantee that your rank would increase. To rank up, you basically needed a lot of kills, which took a lot of the strategy out of the game since everyone went into run and gun mode most of the time.

fluidistic
Gold Member
I disagree with this. I would say your elo deserved to be in the 1400s-1500s because your team was presumably not as good as the teams you were randomly matched with.

Point taken. I honestly do not know what would have been my approximate elo. But there's a reason: for that particular game, the elo system was so bad that intuition would work much better. I used to bet on the outcome from start, I once predicted the right outcome 11 games in a row, while the !predict command based on elo failed totally. That command's output was something like "team 1 has 65% chance to win vs team 2". While intuition could be "team 1 has 0% chance to win vs team 2".
I knew many players because I'd spectate games (you can put all your attention into a particular player and therefore learn from him). I knew for instance a guy rated 1500 that could kill about 4 people before dying but his clan/team was so bad that he'd still lose elo points compared to an "average player" in an opposite team despite being a really strong player. I could not beat that particular guy in 1 vs 1 even though my elo was in the 1700's, even if I had played 10 games in a row. I know this for sure. In 1 vs 1 we usually choose small maps and in that game this means that the commander (special unit which is customizable) has a very important role. That guy's commander was a beast and he knew very well how to manage it.

Another example that elo wasn't well applied for that game is that one would win/lose more elo points when there was less players per team. I've seen a 1300 elo teamed up with the strongest player -elo 2200- vs an average player of 1500. 2 vs 1. The noob (1300 elo) would give his commander to the pro player who would win at any time he wanted. The noob who almost didn't play got a boost in elo, the pro player too while the average guy that could be a good player all in all, gets a huge drop his elo points. After a few games like this you end up with a good player rated 1300, a bad player rated 1400 and a pro player rated 2300. That's just terrible.

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[nitpick]
It's actually Elo, not ELO. It's a person's last name. The guy who invented the system was named Arpad Elo.
[/nitpick]

[nitpick]
It's actually Elo, not ELO. It's a person's last name. The guy who invented the system was named Arpad Elo.
[/nitpick]

Oh sorry. I'm always thinking of the band when I read it.