Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM and GHOSTS

1. May 21, 2004 #1

wolram

Gold Member

with all the suggestions that ghosts are due to some EM
    anomaly, possibly even inducing visions directly in the
    human brain it should be possible to reproduce these anomalies
    in the lab, has any experiment along these lines been carried
    out?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2004 #2
    From my understanding, there’s evidence that says ultra low frequency sound waves can cause a person to feel uneasy and paranoid which could lead to a feeling of being watched or even some mild hallucinations. I think there have been studies to confirm this, where subjects were placed in a darkened room and then subjected to these kinds of sound waves.

As for EM waves though, I have no idea.

4. May 21, 2004 #3
    There is a Canadian researcher, Dr. Michael Persinger, who has been experimenting with this phenomenon for years.

The notion that things like alien abduction experiences might be caused by anomalous EM fields was a direct result of his work.

I don't believe he has done any work on the notion this may also be responsibe for "ghosts".

Visions of people from the past are a known symptom of simple and complex partial seizures, however, and I guess it's fair to call that an EM phenomenon. If the hallucination occurs in both halves of the visual field, the apparition looks completely real and solid. If it only occurs in one half of the visual field of one eye, it looks "see through" and superimposed on the background, creating a classic "misty ghost" image.

Actually these kinds of seizure hallucinations aren't limited to people from the past. They can be of anyone or any image in the person's memory, and they can also be entirely fictional. I read about one woman who saw small elephants and rhinoceros' running around in circles on the floor in front of her, during her seizures. Another woman I know about hallucinated the image of her little poodle standing on a shelf in the room, when the actual dog was actually in the room, in a different place. This same woman hallucinated the image of her daughter, who was away at college, walking through the room. She also sees many images of people she doesn't particularly recognise.

You can see that if someone were to have this kind of seizure and hallucinate the image of someone they knew who had passed away, they would be quite prone to believe they had seen that person's ghost. I am very inclined to believe that the majority of extremely convincing ghost sightings (where the experiencer is convinced, I mean) are, in fact, this kind of neurological event.

The simple partial seizure, a small, localized incident of hypersynchronous neuronal firing, is almost unknown to the general public who think that a seizure always involves muscular convulsions. However, statistics show that the majority of people will have at least one simple partial seizure during their lives. The common deja vu is an example of a very common kind of simple partial seizure.

It is less common to hallucinate full blown images of people but it happens quite a bit.

There is at least one team of "ghostbusters" I saw on TV who are very careful to check on the background EM levels of any haunted house they investigate, to rule out the possibility of EM triggered simple partial seizures. Persinger, likewise, will not subject anyone with known epilepsy or mental illness to his E fields, and goes out of his way to screen such test candidates out.

5. May 22, 2004 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Hmm, medical conditions imbalances in the brain, seems a logical answer to single
    sightings, but multiple sightings would require a local anomaly to trigger such
    conditions, maybe only 1 in a 100 sightings are genuine, it would be interesting
    to find out if on certain days and places anomalous EM or sound waves are
    apparent.

6. May 22, 2004 #5
    By multiple sightings you mean something like many different people seeing, say, the apparition of Anne Bolyn wandering around the tower over many years?

7. May 22, 2004 #6

wolram

Gold Member

by ZOOBY
    By multiple sightings you mean something like many different people seeing, say, the apparition of Anne Bolyn wandering around the tower over many years?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, i can well imagine that many of these sightings are false
    but not all, if say five out of one hundred stood up to scrutiny
    then maybe it is the local that is the culprit, and maybe on
    certain days depending on unknown conditions anomalies
    occur, maybe temperature, humidity, geo activity could
    play a part

8. May 22, 2004 #7
    Persinger's main thesis is that there are places that are subject to higher local electric fields and EM requencies due to transient stresses in the bedrock beneath them. He cites the piezo-electric effect: pressure on the rock in one direction causes a voltage to appear at right angles to the direction of stress.

This makes sence to me, but it would be nice to have someone get a really huge chunck of bedrock and test it with some kind of industrial press to see what kinds of pressures you'd have to have to get a field of this strength. I am assuming there would be a reliable way to extrapolate what a whole layer of bedrock would produce from a sample piece.

9. May 22, 2004 #8

wolram

Gold Member

This makes sence to me, but it would be nice to have someone get a really huge chunck of bedrock and test it with some kind of industrial press to see what kinds of pressures you'd have to have to get a field of this strength. I am assuming there would be a reliable way to extrapolate what a whole layer of bedrock would produce from a sample piece.
    someone must have done research in this area ,"geologists", or
    anyone involved in sensitive em research, i will have a look on
    google.

10. May 22, 2004 #9

wolram

Gold Member

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/E/earthlight.html
    Laboratory studies have offered a few tantalizing clues. In 1981, at the request of Michael Persinger, Brian Brady of the U.S. Bureau of Mines carried out an experiment in Denver in which a granite core was crushed in darkened conditions and filmed in slow motion. Afterwards, the researchers observed lights on the film, flitting out from the decaying core and moving around the chamber of the rock-crusher.
    http://www.whoi.edu/science/AOPE/emworkshop/pdf/EM9.pdf
    electric and magnetic field variations associated with the 1999
    izmit earthquake.
    http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/1997/feb/m10-004.shtml
    It had long been noted that unusual lights are often seen around
    physical projections within an active region. These include features
    such as mountain peaks and ridges, isolated buildings and church
    towers or spires, prominent rock outcrops, and transmission towers.
    http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/91/911231Arc1006.html
    In 1989, in the days before the Loma Prieta earthquake, Fraser-Smith detected huge radio signals in the ultra-low frequency (ULF) range, 0.01 to 10 hertz, with an instrument placed 7 kilometers from the epicenter.

couldnt find anything specific.

11. May 22, 2004 #10
    Good research, Wolram.

It is too bad they didn't make some attempt to measure the electric and EM fields around the rock when they were crushing it. They were more interested simply to see if light was produced.

12. May 23, 2004 #11

wolram

Gold Member

by ZOOBY.
    It is too bad they didn't make some attempt to measure the electric and EM fields around the rock when they were crushing it. They were more interested simply to see if light was produced.
    I was also interested in the statement about lights around
    rock projections, churches etc, and tenuously drew a
    connection with marsh lights, I'm unsure how much energy
    would be needed to light up a pocket of natural gas,
    but it would make a good ghostly image.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?