EM Drive Question: Coupled Photons & Thrust Change

• Thread starter roineust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Em
In summary, the EM Drive is a proposed propulsion system that uses microwaves to generate thrust without the need for any propellant. It works by bouncing microwaves back and forth inside a closed, tapered cone, producing thrust due to the asymmetrical shape of the cone. However, the EM Drive has been met with skepticism by the scientific community and its validity is still being debated due to the lack of a clear explanation for how it produces thrust. Coupled photons are believed to play a crucial role in its functioning by creating a difference in momentum, but further research and testing are needed to confirm its claims.
roineust
Why is an interferometer needed to prove the new Finnish researchers hypothesis about coupled photons and not simply an EM drive, which exhaust angles can be changed in order to measure a corresponding thrust change?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
P.S.
Now i see that this subject is a no go here until a so called 'peer review'.
So i guess i'll just let the moderators lock it themselves (i do understand the reasons).

Likes berkeman

1. What is the EM Drive?

The EM Drive is a proposed propulsion system that uses microwaves to generate thrust without the need for any propellant. It was first developed by British inventor Roger Shawyer in the early 2000s.

2. How does the EM Drive work?

The EM Drive works by bouncing microwaves back and forth inside a closed, tapered cone. Due to the asymmetrical shape of the cone, the microwaves experience a net force in one direction, producing thrust.

3. What is the controversy surrounding the EM Drive?

The EM Drive has been met with skepticism by the scientific community due to the lack of a clear explanation for how it produces thrust. Many scientists believe that it violates the law of conservation of momentum, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. What is the role of coupled photons in the EM Drive?

Coupled photons are believed to play a crucial role in the EM Drive by creating a difference in the momentum of the photons inside the cone. This difference in momentum is what produces the net force and generates thrust.

5. Has the EM Drive been successfully tested?

There have been several tests of the EM Drive, with some claiming to have observed thrust, while others have not. However, none of these tests have been published in a peer-reviewed journal, and many scientists remain skeptical of the results. Further research and testing are needed to determine the validity of the EM Drive's claims.