Exploring EM and GR Link in 5D: Insights into Kaluza Klein Theory

• Thread starter kleinwolf
  • Start date
In summary, Kaluza Klein theory is a 5D theory in which EM and GR are linked. EM energy is taken into account as itself modifying the metric through the GR field equ. It's not clear (at least for me) how E and B (or the covariant EM tensor), can be put into only one more dimension. The corresponding metric in 5D is singular, since I don't understand how you can displace your self in the EM field, which is of another nature than the space-time dimensions. Wikipedia has an exposition on the theory if you understand fibre bundles.
kleinwolf
I read only the overview that Kaluza Klein is a 5D theory, in which EM and GR are linked...but can somebody tells me how this is done, since from EM laws, you can, i thought make them covariant by replacing derivatives by covariant ones...(the ones including elements of the metric tensor)...so i think it should be something like : EM energy should be taken into account as itself modifiyng the metric through the GR field equ, but it's not clear (at least for me), how E and B (or the covariant EM tensor), can be put into only one more dimesion...do you know if the corresponding metric in 5D is singular, since I don't understand how you can displace your self in the EM field, which is of another nature than the space-time dimensions...

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaluza proposed a 5-metric in which the 4-spacetime metric was in the 0-3 part and the electromagnetic vector and scalar potentials were the in the i4 and 4j parts but also in the 0-3 part. The formalism is then the same as for general relativity, but with one dimension more. The action is analogue the Einstein-Hilbert action. However, to get the correct equations for gravity and electromagnetism there must be no dependence of the 5-metric on the 4 coordinate. To explain this Klein proposed the that the 5th dimension was compactified. This is all I can tell you about this. Try pages 13, 14 and 15 of http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/9805018 .

Last edited by a moderator:
kleinwolf said:
I read only the overview that Kaluza Klein is a 5D theory, in which EM and GR are linked...but can somebody tells me how this is done, since from EM laws, you can, i thought make them covariant by replacing derivatives by covariant ones...(the ones including elements of the metric tensor)...so i think it should be something like : EM energy should be taken into account as itself modifiyng the metric through the GR field equ, but it's not clear (at least for me), how E and B (or the covariant EM tensor), can be put into only one more dimesion...do you know if the corresponding metric in 5D is singular, since I don't understand how you can displace your self in the EM field, which is of another nature than the space-time dimensions...

Read my post (#2) in thread called "Fifth Dimensional physics", in General physics forum, dated 09-29-2005.

Well done hellfire I give you 7 out 10 for your reply.

regards

sam

pervect said:
Wikipedia has an exposition - if you understand fibre bundles, that is. (Unfortunately, I don't, at least not yet :-().

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza-Klein_theory

It took me a while (a matter of years :uhh: ) to realize that ALL in physics must be put in the elegant language of differential geometry, that is bundle theory...:rolleyes: But I'm happy i did.:smile:

As for Maxwell's equations in vacuum, the most elegant form form them is

[tex] dF=0 [/tex]

and

[tex] \delta F=\mu_{0} j [/tex]

,where [itex] d [/itex] is the space-time Cartan exterior differential and [itex] \delta [/itex] is its adjoint which one can prove it to be a codifferential...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It took me a while (a matter of years :uhh: ) to realize that ALL in physics must be put in the elegant language of differential geometry, that is bundle theory...:rolleyes: But I'm happy i did.:smile:
As for Maxwell's equations in vacuum, the most elegant form form them is
[tex] dF=0 [/tex]
and
[tex] \delta F=\mu_{0} j [/tex]
,where [itex] d [/itex] is the space-time Cartan exterior differential and [itex] \delta [/itex] is its adjoint which one can prove it to be a codifferential...
Daniel.

Well, I can understand that much even without fibre bundles, as long as [itex] \delta F [/itex] means [itex] d * F[/itex], where * is the Hodges dual.

Though frankly I'm more comfortable with covariant derivatives than exterior derivatives.

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure what books/articles I should read if I wanted to understand the Wikipedia article on KK theory (I don't think it would take an extrodinary amount of reading to understand fibre bundles from where I'm at, but I really don't know where to start).

I think there was some stuff on KK theory in MTW at a level I could follow, but I'm not quite sure where it was. Much like the OP, KK theory is on my list of interesting things I want to find out more about sometime.

So the extra dimension in KK is a space-like one...but what are degenerate dimension, in a degenerate metric ?...i still have not caught that...because those dimensions do not change the space-time interval on which relativity is based...but it can maybe have influence, because there is one more parameter in the metric elements for example...

Although I haven't read through it yet, this looks useful:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9810524
Early History of Gauge Theories and Kaluza-Klein Theories, with a Glance at Recent Developments
Authors: Lochlain O'Raifeartaigh (Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies), Norbert Straumann (University of Zuerich)
Comments: Revised and slightly extended version. Accepted for publication in Reviews of Modern Physics

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0034-4885/50/9/001
Kaluza-Klein theories
D Bailin et al 1987 Rep. Prog. Phys. 50 1087-1170

I also stumbled upon http://www.vttoth.com/kaluza.htm while googling. I haven't read through it.

There is a good chapter in these notes that describes the Kaluza-Klein theory http://www.unine.ch/phys/string/lecturesGR.ps.gz

Last edited by a moderator:
On a flat spacetime manifold where one can choose a metric [itex] \eta_{\mu\nu}= \mbox{diag} \left(+1, -1, -1, -1\right) [/itex]

[tex] \delta= \star d \star [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S. A good survey on differential geometry & the em field on a flat spacetime is found in Bjo/rn Felsager's book: "Geometry, particles and fields".

1. What is the Kaluza Klein Theory?

The Kaluza Klein Theory is a 5-dimensional geometric theory proposed by Theodor Kaluza and Oskar Klein in the early 20th century. It attempts to unify the forces of electromagnetism and gravity by adding an extra spatial dimension to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What is the significance of exploring EM and GR in 5D?

Exploring EM and GR in 5D allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of space and the forces that govern it. It also has the potential to provide a more comprehensive and elegant explanation for the interactions between electromagnetism and gravity.

3. How does the Kaluza Klein Theory reconcile with Einstein's theory of general relativity?

The Kaluza Klein Theory builds upon Einstein's theory of general relativity by adding an extra dimension. This additional dimension allows for the unification of electromagnetism and gravity by incorporating both forces into the same geometric framework.

4. What are some potential applications of the Kaluza Klein Theory?

The Kaluza Klein Theory has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the universe and its physical laws. It could also have practical applications in fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics.

5. How has the study of EM and GR in 5D evolved over time?

The study of EM and GR in 5D has evolved significantly since its inception in the early 20th century. With advancements in mathematical and theoretical physics, scientists have been able to refine and expand upon the original Kaluza Klein Theory, leading to a deeper understanding of the 5th dimension and its implications for the universe.