1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM+GR equiv. 5D?

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    I read only the overview that Kaluza Klein is a 5D theory, in which EM and GR are linked...but can somebody tells me how this is done, since from EM laws, you can, i thought make them covariant by replacing derivatives by covariant ones...(the ones including elements of the metric tensor)...so i think it should be someting like : EM energy should be taken into account as itself modifiyng the metric through the GR field equ, but it's not clear (at least for me), how E and B (or the covariant EM tensor), can be put into only one more dimesion...do you know if the corresponding metric in 5D is singular, since I don't understand how you can displace your self in the EM field, which is of another nature than the space-time dimensions...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

hellfire

Science Advisor

Kaluza proposed a 5-metric in which the 4-spacetime metric was in the 0-3 part and the electromagnetic vector and scalar potentials were the in the i4 and 4j parts but also in the 0-3 part. The formalism is then the same as for general relativity, but with one dimension more. The action is analogue the Einstein-Hilbert action. However, to get the correct equations for gravity and electromagnetism there must be no dependence of the 5-metric on the 4 coordinate. To explain this Klein proposed the that the 5th dimension was compactified. This is all I can tell you about this. Try pages 13, 14 and 15 of this paper.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Read my post (#2) in thread called "Fifth Dimensional physics", in General physics forum, dated 09-29-2005.

Well done hellfire I give you 7 out 10 for your reply.

regards

sam

6. Nov 25, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It took me a while (a matter of years :uhh: ) to realize that ALL in physics must be put in the elegant language of differential geometry, that is bundle theory...:rolleyes: But i'm happy i did.:smile:

As for Maxwell's equations in vacuum, the most elegant form form them is

[tex] dF=0 [/tex]

and

[tex] \delta F=\mu_{0} j [/tex]

,where [itex] d [/itex] is the space-time Cartan exterior differential and [itex] \delta [/itex] is its adjoint which one can prove it to be a codifferential...

Daniel.

7. Nov 25, 2005 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I can understand that much even without fibre bundles, as long as [itex] \delta F [/itex] means [itex] d * F[/itex], where * is the Hodges dual.

Though frankly I'm more comfortable with covariant derivatives than exterior derivatives.

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure what books/articles I should read if I wanted to understand the Wikipedia article on KK theory (I don't think it would take an extrodinary amount of reading to understand fibre bundles from where I'm at, but I really don't know where to start).

I think there was some stuff on KK theory in MTW at a level I could follow, but I'm not quite sure where it was. Much like the OP, KK theory is on my list of interesting things I want to find out more about sometime.

8. Nov 25, 2005 #7
    So the extra dimension in KK is a space-like one...but what are degenerate dimension, in a degenerate metric ?...i still have not caught that...because those dimensions do not change the space-time interval on which relativity is based...but it can maybe have influence, because there is one more parameter in the metric elements for example...

9. Nov 26, 2005 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Although I haven't read through it yet, this looks useful:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9810524
    Early History of Gauge Theories and Kaluza-Klein Theories, with a Glance at Recent Developments
    Authors: Lochlain O'Raifeartaigh (Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies), Norbert Straumann (University of Zuerich)
    Comments: Revised and slightly extended version. Accepted for publication in Reviews of Modern Physics

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0034-4885/50/9/001
    Kaluza-Klein theories
    D Bailin et al 1987 Rep. Prog. Phys. 50 1087-1170

I also stumbled upon http://www.vttoth.com/kaluza.htm while googling. I haven't read through it.

10. Nov 26, 2005 #9
  11. Nov 30, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On a flat spacetime manifold where one can choose a metric [itex] \eta_{\mu\nu}= \mbox{diag} \left(+1, -1, -1, -1\right) [/itex]

[tex] \delta= \star d \star [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S. A good survey on differential geometry & the em field on a flat spacetime is found in Bjo/rn Felsager's book: "Geometry, particles and fields".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?