1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM (laplace equation)

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I've attached the question as I don't know how to write equations on here without them looking awful.

2. Relevant equations
    Laplace -> del^2 V=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done the first bit (expression for Q0).

For the next bit I tried to solve laplace's equation to find the potential in the gap. I called the general radius of a point u, as r is already taken. I was then going to use the boundary condition that
    -dV/du (at u=a) = charge density/permittivity of free space

Which is from the boundary condition for perpendicular field components, and the field must be zero inside the solid sphere.

I took delta to be along the z-axis, so the problem has azimuthal symmetry and we can use the usual general solution of

V = sum[Pl(cost) (Al u^l + Bl u^-(l+1))]

Where t is theta.

Looking at the answer given for charge density, I thought this V would only include an l=0 and l=1 term. So I used them and then used the boundary conditions that

V=0 at u=r=b + delta*cost
    V=V0 at u=a

However this did not give me the result.

Any help? Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Did you try the method of images?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook