1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM problem

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    Consider a wire, if I suddenly pass current on it. There would be an instant localized B field around the wire. Since there is sudden change of B field, there will also be a finite E field. According to Maxwell equation E=B/c.

As the B field spread out the E field will follow, even when the current is stable and B field stop changing the E field will still be there with the B field. But this has got to be wrong right? Otherwise whenever we turn on a solenoid there will be an observable E field around it!!??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

neu

The equation you mentioned is not valid.

I presume you mean:
    [tex]\nabla\times\textbf{E}=-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t}[/tex]

This Faraday's law:

from Wikipedia:
    "Faraday's law of induction states that the induced electromotive force in a closed loop of wire is directly proportional to the time rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop."

So you would get a current in a conductor MOVING through the B-field of a solenoid, but not when static.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Neu,

I think you made an error in the LaTex formula (enroger's is not correct, either). The appropriate equation is:

[tex]\nabla\times\textbf{H} = \frac{1}{c}( \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\textbf{E}+4\pi \textbf{i})[/tex]

Differentiating this, to get a time-varying current, and I think you will find that when a solenoid is turned on or off, a pulse of EM radiation is emitted, in accordance with everyday experience. The EEs in the audience should be able to give a better idea of what happens

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4

neu

yeah sorry i meant:
    [tex]\nabla\times\textbf{E}=-\frac{\partial \textbf{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

6. Apr 4, 2008 #5
    The fact that there is a pulse of E field accompany with B field when the solenoid got turn on has no problem. What I want to know is: When there is no change in current a long time after turn on, therefore no change in B field around the wire, would there still be a E field around the wire?

I think the answer is no, but I can't derive that out of maxwell equation. help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?