Calculating Electromagnetic Field Energy Flux in Linear Medium

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the energy flux in an electromagnetic field in a linear medium with material properties epsilon and mu. The resulting equation for the power per unit volume of the electric and magnetic fields was derived using the Maxwell's Equations and the Gauss's Divergence theorem. The question of whether epsilon and mu are constants was also addressed.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Consider the electromagnetic field in a linear medium with material properties [itex] \epsilon \ \ \text{and} \ \ \mu [/itex]. Calculate [itex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{S} [/itex] for the energy flux [itex] \mathbf{S = E \times H} [/itex].

My work:

[tex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{S} = \nabla \cdot \frac{1}{\mu}(\mathbf{E \times B }) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\mu}[ \nabla \cdot(\mathbf{E \times B })] [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\mu}[\mathbf{B} \cdot(\nabla \times \mathbf{E} }) - \mathbf{E} \cdot(\nabla \times \mathbf{B} }) ] [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\mu}[\mathbf{B} \cdot(-\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{ \partial t}) - \mathbf{E} \cdot(\mu\epsilon\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{ \partial t})] [/tex]

I guess my question is: is this the result? I have no idea what this problem wants. Are there at least any more immediately obvious simplifications?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost there. Remember E . dE/dt = 1/2 d/dt |E|^2 and B . dB/dt = 1/2 d/dt |B|^2 (sorry I don't know Latex). Use these results in your last equation, and not surprisingly you should get the expression for the power per unit volume of the electric and magnetic fields.

That's the classic result for Del*S. A next step (in another assignment) would be derivation of the total flux of S through a closed surface enclosing charges and currents. That would utilize Gauss's Divergence theorem with your present result and other Maxwell's Equations.

[tex] \int\limits_{Surf}^{} \vec{S} * \vec{n} dA = \int\limits_{Vol}^{} \nabla*\vec{S} dV [/tex]

~

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help!

Are epsilon and mu constants??In the general case,they aren't,but i assume the problem asked for the simplest of them all.

Daniel.

1. What is electromagnetic field energy flux?

Electromagnetic field energy flux is the rate at which energy is transmitted through an electromagnetic field per unit area.

2. How is electromagnetic field energy flux calculated?

Electromagnetic field energy flux can be calculated using the formula: S = 1/2 * E * H, where S is the energy flux, E is the electric field intensity, and H is the magnetic field intensity.

3. What is a linear medium?

A linear medium is a material in which the relationship between the electric field and the electric displacement, or the magnetic field and the magnetic induction, is linear. This means that the material follows the laws of electromagnetism, such as Ohm's law and Faraday's law.

4. How does the linear medium affect the calculation of electromagnetic field energy flux?

The linear medium affects the calculation of electromagnetic field energy flux by influencing the values of electric field intensity and magnetic field intensity. These values may change depending on the properties of the medium, such as its permittivity and permeability.

5. What are some applications of calculating electromagnetic field energy flux in linear medium?

Calculating electromagnetic field energy flux in linear medium has various practical applications, such as in designing electronic devices, analyzing the performance of communication systems, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials.