Calculating Potential from 3 Charges Placed on a Line

In summary, the potential at a point far away from three charges +q, -2q, +q placed on a line with equal separation a is approximately given by:\Phi(r,\theta)=\frac{a^2q^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3\cos^2\theta - 1}{r^3}, where r is the distance to the point and \theta is the angle between the point and the line of charges. This can be obtained by using the equation for the E-field due to a discrete distribution of charges and manipulating it to get an expression for the potential, which can be approximated using Taylor series and Legendre polynomials.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Three charges +q, -2q, +q are placed on a line with equal separation a. Show that the potential at a point far away from the charges is approximately given by:

[tex] \Phi(r, \theta)=\frac{a^2q^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3cos^2 \theta-1}{r^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

E-Field due to the discrete distribution of charges:
[tex]E(r)=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \sum_{i=1}^3 q_i \frac{r-r_i}{|r-r_i|^3}[/tex]

where r is the vector to the point where we want the field and r_i is the vector to charge q_i.

Potential:
[tex]\Phi(r)=-\int_O^rE \dot dr[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Position the charges such that the -2q is at the origin, and the +q charges are at +-a on the x -axis. Then the vectors to the charges are:

charge at +a: [tex]|r-a|=\sqrt{r^2+a^2-2racos\theta}=r(1-cos^2\theta)^{1/2}[/tex] since a = r cos O.

charge at -a: [tex]|r+a|=\sqrt{4a^2+r^2+a^2+2racos\theta}=r(1+3cos^2\theta)^{1/2}[/tex]

charge at origin: r=0.

So the field at r is:

[tex]E(r)=\frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left[ \frac{r-a}{|r-a|^3}+\frac{r+a}{|r+a|^3}-\frac{2r}{|r|^3} \right] [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left[ \frac{r(1-cos^2 \theta)^{1/2}}{r^3(1-cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}+\frac{r(1+3cos^2\theta)^{1/2}}{r^3(1+3cos^2\theta)^{3/2}}-\frac{2}{r^2} \right] [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r^2} \left[ \frac{1}{1-cos^2\theta}+\frac{1}{1+3cos^2\theta}-2 \right] [/tex]

is this correct so far? After further simplifying this answer I obtained an equation for the field which seemingly does not produce a correct potential (I'm aware I will have to take the limit of the potential). Intuitively this field seems incorrect since the potential relies on 1/r^3 (i.e. the e-field should rely on 1/r^4 since the potential is the integrated e-field).

Thanks for any comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring the fact that i made many gross errors in the original post, the expression I'm trying to simplify now is:

[tex]E(\vec r)= \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left[ \frac{\vec r + \vec a}{|\vec r + \vec a|^3}+\frac{\vec r - \vec a}{|\vec r - \vec a|^3}-\frac{2 \vec r}{|\vec r|^3} \right] [/tex]

with the following:

[tex]|\vec r + \vec a| = \sqrt{r^2+a^2+2racos \theta}[/tex]

[tex]|\vec r - \vec a| = \sqrt{r^2+a^2-2racos \theta}[/tex]

I'm having a lot of trouble simplifying this because I'm out of practice with vectors, and I'm sure that it is not nearly as difficult as I am making it out to be (after 20 minutes of combining into one fraction and simplifying I decided it can't be the best method). Can someone give a hint?

[tex]E(\vec r)= \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r^3} \left[ \frac{\vec r + \vec a}{(1+\frac{a^2}{r^2}+\frac{2a}{r}cos \theta)^{3/2}}+\frac{\vec r - \vec a}{(1+\frac{a^2}{r^2}-\frac{2a}{r}cos \theta)^{3/2}}-2 \vec r \right] [/tex]
Thanks

Last edited:
Why are you calculating the electric field first? Save yourself some trouble and just use the fact that the potential due to a point charge [itex]q[/itex] located at [itex]\textbf{r}'[/itex] is given by

[tex]\Phi=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex] (Taking infinity as the reference point)

This allows you to calculate the exact potential with ease. Then, simply use your favorite method for approximating a function (Taylor expansion perhaps) to see what the approximate potential is far from the origin.

you make a good point, thanks.

using that method i get a potential that relies on 1/r for r>>a..how in the world am i supposed to obtain a potential that relies on 1/r^3??

The terms proportional to 1/r should cancel out. You probably made an algebraic error.

I am missing something substantial here.

[tex]\phi( \vec r) = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{1}{|\vec r - \vec r_i|}[/tex]

So for this charge dist.

[tex]\phi( \vec r) = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_o} \left[ \frac{1}{|\vec r - \vec a|} + \frac{1}{|\vec r + \vec a|}-\frac{2}{|\vec r|} \right] [/tex][tex]\phi( \vec r) = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_o} \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2-2racos \theta}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2+2racos \theta}}-\frac{2}{r} \right] [/tex][tex]\phi( \vec r) = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_o} \frac{1}{r} \left[ \frac{(1+\frac{a^2}{r^2}-\frac{2a}{r} cos \theta)^{1/2}+(1+\frac{a^2}{r^2}+\frac{2a}{r} cos \theta)^{1/2}-(1+\frac{2a^2}{r^2}+\frac{a^4}{r^4}-\frac{4a^2}{r^2}cos^2 \theta)^{1/2}}{(1+\frac{2a^2}{r^2}+\frac{a^4}{r^4}-\frac{4a^2}{r^2} cos^2 \theta)^{1/2}} \right][/tex]

I must have been doing this part incorrectly. At this point, what is the best way to approximate these terms? Does a taylor expansion work even though we want [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex] after the approximation?

r is large compared to [itex]a^2\pm2ra\cos\theta[/itex], so factor it out of the radical to get
[tex]\frac{1}{r\sqrt{1+[(a/r)^2\pm2(a/r)\cos\theta]}}[/tex],

expand the square root as a Taylor series in powers of [itex][(a/r)^2\pm2(a/r)\cos\theta][/itex], and collect terms in powers of r. This will give you a well-known result involving Legendre polynomials. If you already know what that result is, it can save you some time and quite a bit of algebra if you go straight to it.

that helped enormously, just finished the problem. thanks a ton!

What is the formula for calculating potential from 3 charges placed on a line?

The formula for calculating potential from 3 charges placed on a line is V = k(Q1/r1 + Q2/r2 + Q3/r3), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q1, Q2, and Q3 are the charges, and r1, r2, and r3 are the distances from the charges to the point where the potential is being calculated.

How do I determine the direction of the potential from 3 charges placed on a line?

The direction of potential from 3 charges placed on a line can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the line and curl your fingers towards the charges. The direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the potential.

What units are used for potential in this calculation?

The units for potential in this calculation are volts (V).

Can I use this formula for charges placed at any distance on the line?

Yes, this formula can be used for charges placed at any distance on the line as long as the distances are measured from the same point where the potential is being calculated.

Is there a limit to the number of charges that can be used in this calculation?

No, there is no limit to the number of charges that can be used in this calculation. However, the more charges that are included, the more complex the calculation will be.