Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM radiation and charge

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    Does a stationary charge emits electromagnetic radiation?
    Does a moving charge in magnetic field emits electromagnetic radiation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

A stationary charge would only emit radiation if it were acceleratiing, and then it would no longer remain stationary.
    A moving charge in a magentic field would accelerate and thus emit EM radiation
    (unless it were moving at constant velocity parallel to the B field.)
  4. Oct 19, 2008 #3
    There is considerable debate over whether a uniformly accelerating charge does, in fact, radiate. [Shoddy reference, but should provide a starting point].
  5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

I don't know the author or status of that shoddy website, but every textbook I have seen
    (about 20) states that a uniformly accelerating charge does, in fact, radiate.
    Perhaps "considerable" is a confuted overstatement.
  6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    As I stated, that site should have been nothing but a starting point. You want peer reviewed papers? You've got 'em.

Annals of Physics, 124, 169-188 (1980)

Phys. Rev. 76, 543 - 544 (1949)

I'll admit to not having read these articles, but the abstracts alone should be sufficient to convey my point; there is some debate.

Indeed, my Google searches even brought me to this thread:

It seems you've been confuted. I suggest finding the word in a dictionary before you use it again.
  7. Oct 21, 2008 #6

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?