EM radiation and Nuclear Radiation

• Thread starter madking153
  • Start date
madking153
hi , got 2 question about radiation:

1. Microwaves , radiowaves ,gamma rays and visible light - which one cannot detected by film?

2. Gamma rays , beta rays ,neutrons and alphas - which one has the shortest range in tissue ?( assume equal enegy)

thanks

Answers and Replies

kawikdx225
madking153 said:

1. Microwaves , radiowaves ,gamma rays and visible light - which one cannot detected by film?

2. Gamma rays , beta rays ,neutrons and alphas - which one has the shortest range in tissue ?( assume equal enegy)

thanks

1. My guess would be the one with the lowest frequency.

2. I would think the largest (most massive) particle would have the shortest range.

mathman
Science Advisor
The longer wavelengths (microwaves, radio waves) cannot be detected by film.

Charge particles (beta and alpha) have much shorter ranges, with alpha (heavier) shorter than beta. Neutral particles (gamma and neutrons) will penetrate quite deeply.

madking153
Can u explain why microwaves and radiowave cannot detected my film ? thanks

pmb_phy
madking153 said:

Microwaves and radiowaves can't be detected by photographic film. I'm not sure about gamma rays but I doub't film can detect them.
I'm not sure that we can assume equal energy since the distance is a function of energy. Therefore it may be the case that when one has a lower energy it has a shorter range and when the energy is higher the range changes. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Pete

madking153
well, it is a question from Raphex - exam from Radiology ....

pmb_phy
madking153 said:
well, it is a question from Raphex - exam from Radiology ....
So I take it that it doesn't give an answer anywhere (else you wouldn't be asking)?

Are you familiar with that Bragg curve? If so then take a look at it and compare the absorption curve with the absorption curve of neutral particles. It may help.

Pete

Suggested for: EM radiation and Nuclear Radiation

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post