Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM radiation and Nuclear Radiation

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    hi , got 2 question about radiation:

1. Microwaves , radiowaves ,gamma rays and visible light - which one cannot detected by film?

2. Gamma rays , beta rays ,neutrons and alphas - which one has the shortest range in tissue ?( assume equal enegy)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2
    1. My guess would be the one with the lowest frequency.

2. I would think the largest (most massive) particle would have the shortest range.
  4. Apr 24, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The longer wavelengths (microwaves, radio waves) cannot be detected by film.

Charge particles (beta and alpha) have much shorter ranges, with alpha (heavier) shorter than beta. Neutral particles (gamma and neutrons) will penetrate quite deeply.
  5. Apr 24, 2005 #4
    Can u explain why microwaves and radiowave cannot detected my film ? thanks
  6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    Microwaves and radiowaves can't be detected by photographic film. I'm not sure about gamma rays but I doub't film can detect them.
    I'm not sure that we can assume equal energy since the distance is a function of energy. Therefore it may be the case that when one has a lower energy it has a shorter range and when the energy is higher the range changes. Sorry if that doesn't help.

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6
    well, it is a question from Raphex - exam from Radiology ....
  8. Apr 24, 2005 #7
    So I take it that it doesn't give an answer anywhere (else you wouldn't be asking)?

Are you familiar with that Bragg curve? If so then take a look at it and compare the absorption curve with the absorption curve of neutral particles. It may help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?