1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Em radiation question

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1
    hi guys, having a bit of trouble answering this physics question. Wondering if any of the experts can help me out.

Can the electromagnetic radiation produced by a hot gas of hydrogen atoms be exactly of one frequency?
    They say also that the atoms make a transition from state n=2 to n=1 and that all atoms are moving.
    not sure about this one. From what I saw in tutorial hot gases show several frequencies. Am I thinking of the right thing, the spectra that shows from the slit experiments with all the vertical spectrum lines.
    hope someone can help

oh, a similar question involving state transitions

A hydrogen atom undergoes a transition from the state n=3 to n=2 and then another transition from n=2 to n=1. Two photons are created due to these processes. Which photon has the higher frequency?
    I have thought about this one all night, and can't understand it. They say two photons are created, I'm not sure if they mean at once, or one from state n=3 to n=2 and one from n=2 to n=1.

any thoughts?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please do not post the same question in more than one place here.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?