Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Em radiation question

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1
    hi guys, having a bit of trouble answering this physics question. Wondering if any of the experts can help me out.

Can the electromagnetic radiation produced by a hot gas of hydrogen atoms be exactly of one frequency?
    They say also that the atoms make a transition from state n=2 to n=1 and that all atoms are moving.
    not sure about this one. From what I saw in tutorial hot gases show several frequencies. Am I thinking of the right thing, the spectra that shows from the slit experiments with all the vertical spectrum lines.
    hope someone can help

oh, a similar question involving state transitions

A hydrogen atom undergoes a transition from the state n=3 to n=2 and then another transition from n=2 to n=1. Two photons are created due to these processes. Which photon has the higher frequency?
    I have thought about this one all night, and can't understand it. They say two photons are created, I'm not sure if they mean at once, or one from state n=3 to n=2 and one from n=2 to n=1.

any thoughts?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please do not post the same question in more than one place here.

- Warren

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook