Free 3-D EM Software for Modeling Transformers and Mapping Poynting Vectors

In summary, there are several free 3-D EM software options available for modeling transformers, including Ansoft and Intusoft's Magnetics Designer. Some may have limitations, such as a less user-friendly interface, but they can still be useful for those on a budget. Additionally, there are resources on Physics Forums where users have discussed and recommended different software options.
Bret Danfoss
Does anybody know of free 3-D EM software so that I can model a transformer?

In particular, I'm interested in mapping Poynting vectors.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many thanks.

I looked at the "Ansoft" product & found out how much it cost ... I would have expected a better GUI to be honest with you.

Having said that, "beggers can't be choosers" so I shouldn't moan about it.

There doesn't seem to be bags of help in the SV. I suppose that's one of the things that makes it the SV, not the full-blown version.

I'm also finding it difficult to use.

Hey, I just came across this transformer design software. Looks interesting -- I may try it out.

http://www.kgs.com.hk/download/Magnetics_Designer.pdf

EDIT -- Here's the source file directly from Intusoft: http://www.intusoft.com/lit/MagBrochure.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! ... Thanks very much, I'll check it out.

1. What is the purpose of "Free 3-D EM Software for Modeling Transformers and Mapping Poynting Vectors"?

The purpose of this software is to provide a free and user-friendly platform for modeling transformers and analyzing the Poynting vectors in three-dimensional space. This can be useful for engineers and researchers in the electrical and electronics industries, as well as for educational purposes.

2. How can I access and download this software?

This software can be accessed and downloaded for free from the official website of the developer or from other trusted sources such as software repositories or online forums. It is available for various operating systems and can be downloaded and installed with ease.

3. What are the features and capabilities of this software?

This software offers a variety of features and capabilities, including a user-friendly interface, 3-D modeling of transformers, visualization of Poynting vectors, and the ability to simulate and analyze various electromagnetic phenomena. It also allows for customization and integration with other software tools.

4. Is this software suitable for beginners or non-experts?

Yes, this software is designed to be accessible for beginners and non-experts. It provides a simple and intuitive interface, as well as helpful tutorials and documentation for users who may not have a background in electromagnetics or software modeling.

5. Are there any limitations to this free software?

While this software offers a range of useful features, it may have some limitations compared to paid or more complex software. For example, it may have a smaller library of components or a lack of advanced customization options. However, it still provides valuable capabilities for modeling transformers and analyzing Poynting vectors at no cost.