EM Wave in Plasma: Reflection, Attenuation & Radiated Power

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a monochromatic plane EM wave in a plasma when its frequency is less than the plasma frequency. It is mentioned that such a wave cannot propagate and is completely reflected. However, for frequencies greater than the plasma frequency, the (time averaged) power radiated is the same as a plane wave in vacuum. The Poynting vector is also mentioned as a way to understand the wave's propagation, but it is not valid in the domain where the frequency is less than the plasma frequency. This is because the wave vector becomes complex and the wave has a spatial dependence that implies attenuation or evanescence. This means that the wave cannot propagate.
Euclid
Can a monochromatic plane EM wave exists in a plasma when [tex]\omega [/tex] is less than [tex]\omega_p[/tex] (the plasma frequency)? If so, is it attenuated?
I read in a text that a wave incident on a plasma with [tex]\omega < \omega_p[/tex] is completely reflected, but does this mean such a wave can't exist in a plasma?
If [tex] \omega > \omega_p[/tex], is the (time averaged) power radiated just the same as a plane wave in vacuum ?

I get [tex] \mathbb{S} = \frac{cE^2}{8\pi \omega}\sqrt{\omega^2 - \omega_p^2}\textbf{z}[/tex] for omega > omega_p.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to power flux question (Poynting vector) should convince you that a wave whose frequency is less than the plasma frequency cannot propagate.

It does not convince me because my solution is not valid in that domain. For when omega < omega_p the wave vector k becomes complex, so the wave has spatial dependence ~e^(-alpha z) for some real alpha. In a wave guide, this implied attenuation, but here it seems to imply that the wave cannot propogate.

Euclid said:
It does not convince me because my solution is not valid in that domain. For when omega < omega_p the wave vector k becomes complex, so the wave has spatial dependence ~e^(-alpha z) for some real alpha. In a wave guide, this implied attenuation, but here it seems to imply that the wave cannot propogate.

That's precisely because it does not propagate and is what "attenuation" or evanescence means.

1. What is an EM wave in plasma?

An EM wave in plasma is a type of electromagnetic wave that travels through a plasma, which is a state of matter where the gas is ionized and contains free electrons. This type of wave is commonly found in the Earth's ionosphere and in the plasma of stars.

2. How does reflection occur in an EM wave in plasma?

Reflection of an EM wave in plasma occurs when the wave encounters a boundary between two different plasma densities. The wave is partially reflected and partially transmitted, similar to the way light is reflected and refracted at the boundary between two materials. The amount of reflection depends on the difference in plasma densities and the angle of incidence of the wave.

3. What is attenuation in an EM wave in plasma?

Attenuation refers to the decrease in amplitude or strength of an EM wave as it travels through a plasma. This occurs due to collisions between the wave and the particles in the plasma, which cause the wave to lose energy. As the wave travels further into the plasma, the attenuation increases.

4. How is radiated power affected by an EM wave in plasma?

An EM wave in plasma can cause the particles in the plasma to oscillate and emit their own radiation. This radiation can add to the original wave and increase its power. However, as the wave travels through the plasma, it also experiences attenuation, which decreases its power. The net effect on the radiated power depends on the specific conditions of the plasma.

5. What are some applications of EM waves in plasma?

EM waves in plasma are used in a variety of applications, including communication systems, space exploration, and plasma processing. They are also important in understanding and studying the behavior of plasmas in laboratory experiments and natural phenomena, such as solar flares and auroras.