Calculating EM Wave Intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses an electromagnetic wave propagating through a vacuum and the equations for calculating intensity. The intensity is found by dividing the power by the area and using the maximum magnitude of the magnetic field. However, there is confusion about which magnitude of the magnetic field to use and how to properly calculate intensity. The importance of understanding the physics behind the equations is emphasized.
RRiley99
Howdy everyone.

1. Ok, so we have and electromagnetic wave propagating through a vacuum. We know wavelength, and the magnitudes of B in the x and y directions. Also, B=[Bx(i)+By(j)]cos(kz+ωt). That's all the prereq stuff.

2. So Intensity is: <P>/A & (1/2)Bmax^2/Zo

I'm def feeling the second equation is the most useful here! But this equation yields an incorrect answer. Are these the only two equations for Intensity?

3. I've tried taking the magnitude of the B and plugging into the second eq. This didn't work.

Thanks,
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be trying to use equations without understanding the physics behind them.
i.e. the "magnitude of B" will change with position and time ... so which "magnitude" did you pick? Perhaps you mean you used the amplitude of the wave?

Did I read that equation correctly:
$$\vec{B} = [B_x\hat{\imath} + B_y\hat{\jmath}]\cos(kz+\omega t)$$... so what is the amplitude of the B field?

Why would you have two equations for the same thing that give different values for that thing?
Go back to the physics: what is "intensity"?
http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/EMWaves.html

1. What is the formula for calculating EM wave intensity?

The formula for calculating EM wave intensity is given as: I = (E0)^2/2μ0c, where I is the intensity, E0 is the electric field amplitude, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is EM wave intensity measured?

EM wave intensity is measured using a device called a radiometer. This device measures the amount of energy transferred by the EM wave per unit area per unit time, and is usually expressed in watts per square meter (W/m^2).

3. Can EM wave intensity be calculated for all types of EM waves?

Yes, the formula for calculating EM wave intensity can be used for all types of EM waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

4. What factors affect the intensity of an EM wave?

The intensity of an EM wave is affected by the amplitude of the electric field, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the wave is traveling. Other factors such as obstacles and interference can also affect the intensity.

5. How is EM wave intensity related to the intensity of other forms of energy?

EM wave intensity is directly proportional to the intensity of other forms of energy, such as thermal, mechanical, and chemical energy. This is because all of these forms of energy are ultimately derived from the energy of the EM waves.