1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM wave propagation direction.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the following EM wave propagating in vacuum, find the direction along which the electric field oscillates and the direction of propagation of the wave:

[tex] \vec{E} = (-3\hat{i} + 3\sqrt{3}\hat{j}) 10^4 e^{i[\frac{\pi}{3} (\sqrt{5}x + \sqrt{5/3} y10^7 - 8.1246 *10^{15} t]} [/tex]

Btw how can I prevent the thread template from reappearing every time I click preview post? It is quite annoying.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the electric field oscillates along the direction [itex]-1\hat{i} \sqrt{3}\hat{j}[/itex], by looking at the amplitide. But how do I determine the direction of propagation from the phase argument? Do I just treat the x and y in the phase as if they were unit vectors of [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Pretty much. You know a wave propagating in the k direction has a phase given by [itex]i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)[/itex], so just pick out the components of k.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I see it now. One more question, if I am asked to find the associated [itex] \vec{H}[/itex] field by calculating [itex] \frac{1}{\mu_0 c} \hat{u}\times \vec{E} [/itex], where û is the normalized wave vector, how would I split up the components of E for the determinant? Would it be like:

[tex] E_x = -3\cdot10^4 e^{i[\frac{\pi}{3} (\sqrt{5}x + \sqrt{5/3} y10^7 - 8.1246 *10^{15} t]}[/tex]

[tex]E_y = 3\sqrt{3}\cdot10^4 e^{i[\frac{\pi}{3} (\sqrt{5}x + \sqrt{5/3} y10^7 - 8.1246 *10^{15} t]} [/tex]

for example? Or do I also have to split up the phase/exponent for each component of E?

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can keep the exponential part separate; it's part of the amplitude of the electric field. I would write the electric field as the product of a magnitude and a unit vector:
    [tex]\vec{E} = \left(-\frac{1}{2}\hat{i}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\hat{j}\right)(3\times10^4~\mathrm{V/m})e^{i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}[/tex]The only part you need for the determinant is the unit vector. The rest just scales the result of the cross product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook