Solving EM Wave Questions: Polarization, Direction, Phase Velocity, Amplitude

In summary, the given EM-wave is a plane wave with a polarization of -2i cos(ωt - a(√3x + y))E_0 in the x-direction, 2√3i cos(ωt - a(√3x + y))E_0 in the y-direction, and 3i cos(ωt - a(√3x + y))E_0 in the z-direction. It propagates in a vacuum in the direction of \vec{k}=a(√3,1,0) in the x-y plane, with a phase velocity of v_{ph}=\frac{ω}{|\vec{k}|}=\frac{ω}{2
AwesomeTrains

Homework Statement

Hey, I've been given this EM-wave:
[itex](-2\vec{e}_x+2\sqrt{3}\vec{e}_y+3\vec{e}_z)E_0e^{i[\omega t-a(\sqrt{3}x+y)]}[/itex] with [itex]a∈ℝ[/itex]

1) Describe the wave and how it's polarized.
2) In what direction does the wave propagate?
3) What is the phase velocity of the wave?
4) What is the amplitude?
5) Is it a transverse wave?

2. Homework Equations

1: Plane wave equation:
[itex]E_0cos(wt-\vec{k}\vec{r}+\phi_0)[/itex] and [itex]e^{ix}=cos(x)+isin(x)[/itex]
3: Phase velocity:
[itex]v_{ph}=\frac{\omega}{k}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think it's a plane wave. With Euler's formula I get
[itex](-2\vec{e}_x+2\sqrt{3}\vec{e}_y+3\vec{e}_z)E_0[cos(\omega t-a(\sqrt{3}x+y))+isin(\omega t-a(\sqrt{3}x+y))][/itex]
I guess [itex](-2\vec{e}_x+2\sqrt{3}\vec{e}_y+3\vec{e}_z)E_0cos(\omega t-a(\sqrt{3}x+y))[/itex] is what I have to look at?

I'm really not sure about the polarization of the wave. My best guess is that it's linearly polarized, because all 3 directions have the same phase at all times.

2) I would say it moves in the direction of [itex]\vec{k}=a(\sqrt{3},1,0)[/itex] in the x-y plane? (I can assume that the wave propagates in vacuum when it's not stated?)

3) [itex]v_{ph}=\frac{\omega}{|\vec{k}|}=\frac{\omega}{2|a|}[/itex] Can I calculate the frequency ([itex]\omega[/itex]) by what is given? Or is it [itex]c[/itex] since it's in vacuum. Is it in vacuum?
([itex]v_{ph}=\frac{\omega}{k}=\frac{\lambda2\pi ν}{2\pi}=c)[/itex]
4) Pretty sure about this one:
[itex]5E_0[/itex]

5) I've read that transverse waves are waves that are oscillating perpendicular to the direction of propagation.
And I've heard that this is a transverse wave. But [itex](-2,2\sqrt{3},3)[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\vec{k}=a(\sqrt{3},1,0)[/itex] only when [itex]a=1[/itex] or [itex]0[/itex] and not for all a?

Sorry for all the questions in the post :confused: I really appreciate any answers or corrections :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seems sound for the most part. Given the form of the wave (no absorption or anything like that), it seems to be in a vacuum with a dispersion relation ω = c k.
For question 5, think about the dot product.

DelcrossA said:
You seems sound for the most part. Given the form of the wave (no absorption or anything like that), it seems to be in a vacuum with a dispersion relation ω = c k.
For question 5, think about the dot product.

Thanks for the reply :)
The dot product between [itex]\vec{k}=a(\sqrt3,1,0)[/itex] and [itex](-2,2\sqrt3,3)[/itex] is [itex]a(-2)\sqrt3+2a\sqrt3+0=0 => \vec{k} \perp (-2,2\sqrt3,3)[/itex] oh yea I see my mistake now, it works for all a. Thanks :)
Beside that is the rest correct?

1. What is polarization in EM waves?

Polarization in EM waves refers to the direction of the electric field oscillations. It can be either linear, where the electric field oscillates in a straight line, or circular, where the electric field rotates in a circular motion.

2. How do you determine the direction of an EM wave?

The direction of an EM wave is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic field vectors. In other words, it is the direction in which the wave is traveling.

3. What is phase velocity in EM waves?

Phase velocity is the speed at which a point on an EM wave moves through space. It is directly related to the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. How is amplitude related to energy in EM waves?

The amplitude of an EM wave is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. This means that the greater the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries.

5. Can the amplitude of an EM wave change?

Yes, the amplitude of an EM wave can change as it travels through different mediums. It can also be affected by factors such as interference, diffraction, and reflection.