1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM wave

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 550 nm harmonic wave whose electric field is in the z direction is traveling in the y direction in vacuum.

a)find the frequency of the wave
    b)determine [tex]\omega[/tex] and k.
    c)if the electric field amplitude is 600 V/m find the amplitude of the magnetic field.
    d)write an expression for both E(t) and B(t) given that each is zero at x=0 and t=0.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t)=Acos(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)+Csin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved all the other questions but part d is giving me a bit of trouble.

[tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t)=Acos(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)+Csin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)
    [tex]\Psi[/tex](0,0)=Acos(0) + Csin(0)
    0=A(1) + C(0)
    therefore A=0 but not necessarily C so i wrote
    E(t)=[tex]\hat{y}[/tex]Csin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t) and
    B(t)=[tex]\hat{z}[/tex]Csin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)

This is the part I'm stuck on, I'm unsure on how to solve for the constant C, the amplitude of the function.

*edit the formatting is a bit off, it should be kx-wt, the w isn't a power of anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, [itex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r},t)=C_E\sin(kx-\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{y}}[/itex] describes an electric field, with amplitude [itex]C_E[/itex], polarized in the [itex]y[/itex]-direction, and traveling in the [itex]x[/itex]-direction....that isn't what the problem statement you've posted asks you to describe....

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the quick reply. Since my idea is wrong, could you give me a hint on the correct way to solve the problem.

5. Oct 3, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, the general form of a plane wave, traveling along the direction of [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex] and polarized in the [itex]\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/itex] direction is [itex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r},t)=C\sin(\mathbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{n}}+D\cos(\mathbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/tex]

What would you expect [itex]\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/itex] to be if the field is polarized in the [itex]z[/itex]-direction?

What would you expect [itex]\mathbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}[/itex] to be if the field is traveling in the [itex]y[/itex]-direction?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook