Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM waves and forces

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    Would a particle kept in the path of an electromagnetic wave experience a force?
    Both magnetic and electric field are present, so the equation of motion may be complex, but i have never seen my textbook refer to the the possibility of an em wave causing a charged particle to move.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

EM waves cause particles to move all the time. That's how a radio antenna works - the radio wave causes the electrons in the antenna to move, which produces a current, which is detected by the radio receiver.

4. Feb 16, 2014 #3
    So if a charged particle is kept in a ray of light, would it begin to accelerate?

5. Feb 16, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "kept in a ray of light", but yes, the EM field of light can accelerate charges.

6. Feb 16, 2014 #5
    Well of course a light wave can accelerate a charged particle, an EM wave has the M part in it, which would affect a charged particle.

What I've always wondered is, if you had, say, an atom of silicon floating in space and a stream of photons came flying at it, a few photons would hit the silicon atom. Would these collisions cause the silicon atom to move?

I know a photon is massless, so conservation of momentum says no, but it also has a lot of energy attached to it (doesn't it?) so from E=mc^2, shouldn't it be able to impart some force?

7. Feb 16, 2014 #6
    The photon has momentum even though it's massless. So there is no contradiction. Conservation of momentum does not say "no".:smile:

But I think you should start a new topic, as you bring a different question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook